Justin Tate's Reviews > Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

My first Philip K. Dick read, and now I understand what all the fuss is about. The guy is a visionary. Chapter 1 immerses you in a world unlike anything you've ever seen, and yet it's completely understandable. This is where other sci-fi writers fail over and over again. They get caught up in their own imagination and struggle to translate fever dreams into digestible content for readers. Dick's scene structure is character-based, intimate, and uses the mind-boggling elements as intrigue rather than pure information dump. Every beginning sci-fi writer should reader Chapter 1 of this book at least 17 times before daring to type a word. This is how it's done, folks.

I've seen Blade Runner before. It took 3 or 4 days to finish because the dreamy pace and lullaby score kept putting me to sleep. I don't remember it very well, but what I can recall had little resemblance to this novel. For one, the pace is not slow. There are no lulls in the action, no rest from the mystery. Every paragraph launches us forward, demands our attention. Decker is significantly more interesting, with more fleshed out internal problems. He must face himself as much as he faces the androids--a fitting conflict.

If I had any complaint about the book, it's that he seems obsessed with justifying the title. It's a good title, don't get me wrong, but the overwrought energy devoted to animals goes on too long; gets distracting. Decker's insatiable hunt for owls and goats and other creatures is constant, yet that only seems like a medium-sized theme to pursue. I would have preferred, for example, more time devoted to clearly explaining Mercer. Mercer is the one piece that I couldn't quite understand and had trouble believing. In any case, these are minor issues in what is otherwise a classic example of the finest science fiction. Also a good entry book for those who ordinarily avoid the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

May 14, 2019 – Started Reading
May 14, 2019 – Shelved
May 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Fabulous review, Justin! I agree completely with what you said about using "the mind-boggling elements as intrigue rather than pure information dump." Perfectly said, and for me, this applies to fantasy as well. :)

Justin Tate Thanks Jaline! Always appreciate your thoughts. I agree, fantasy should utilize this strategy as well. Or really any story that puts us in an unfamiliar situation

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Jandrok Probably not a bad place to start with Philip K. Dick, but don't expect the rest of his oeuvre to read this cohesively. He was insanely talented but he was also prone to vast swaths of utter craziness in his works....but usually in a good way. Stuff like "Martian Time-Slip" is WAY different than "Do Androids......" I became a Dickhead a long time ago and I'm just now getting around to re-reading a lot of his stuff.