مؤيد حسن's Reviews > Footnotes in Gaza

Footnotes in Gaza by Joe Sacco

4082099

It's a hard book to read. Not for its size or its language. It's hard because of the brutality of its content. It is a graphic novel, but unlike the ones you're used to read (at least for me) you know it is not a fictional story, it is somehow a depiction of real people telling stories they remember from their past.

Another thing that grabs my attention it that, unlike other graphic novels, there are no heroes in the stories told. There is no happy ending. To think of it, there is no ending at all! The story continues until today.

The book in my opinion does not, or should not, aim to be mainly a historical document. I'm not doubting the historical facts it includes, but as much as I'm impressed with Joe Sacco's effort in his research, what I liked is his depiction of emotion. The fear, pain, sadness, and even joy and laughter, the whole spectrum of feelings and reactions is present and makes you relate to what you are reading. And that is something you don't get from a historical document.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Footnotes in Gaza.

February 22, 2012 – Started Reading