Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > The Ragged Blade

The Ragged Blade by Christopher Ruz

32067918

bookshelves: net-galley, friends

Read an eARC from NetGalley

If anyone is familiar with my reading/media tastes, then you know that Berserk is one of my favorite things. And if that tickles your fancy, definitely check this book out.

Richard and his daughter, Ana, are roaming the desert on the run from The Magician, Richard's ex-boyfriend who really wants a demon's heart for reasons. The way Ruz captures the loneliness of the desert is truly outstanding, even though Richard has the company of his daughter and his regrets. The interactions with the other desert travelers lead to some pretty exciting battles and if you like Shelob and surprises, you will be delighted.

I applaud the way the present timeline and the past play together throughout the narrative. The locations tie together really well and it gives context for Richard's journey and why he's so determined. It also does a good job showing the wisdom and hindsight that comes from aging.

Definitely a book for epic fantasy fans who want a few good family feels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ragged Blade.

May 14, 2019 – Started Reading
May 14, 2019 – Shelved
May 14, 2019 –
16.0% "The desert wastes are hauntingly beautiful here"
May 23, 2019 –
May 25, 2019 –
54.0% "God, this is the Berserk book of my dreams"
May 27, 2019 –
May 27, 2019 – Shelved as: net-galley
May 27, 2019 – Shelved as: friends
May 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by szabi (new)

szabi Can you recommend anything similar to Berserk? I tried The first law, which was kinda okay (but the next one was a bit of a letdown)... in feeling the closest thing I can recall was Heroes die.

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Ladzinski szabi wrote: "Can you recommend anything similar to Berserk? I tried The first law, which was kinda okay (but the next one was a bit of a letdown)... in feeling the closest thing I can recall was Heroes die."

I think THE POPPY WAR has a very similar energy and if you're looking for manga, definitely check out Claymore

message 3: by szabi (new)

szabi Thanks! I tried the Claymore anime, but it was not my cup of tea, while I do love the Berserk manga (and the very first anime series). I'll check out the Poppy war for sure.