Alex (PaperbackPiano)'s Reviews > The Den

The Den by Abi Maxwell

liked it

While this wasn’t exactly what I expected, it was still an enjoyable read. I was immediately drawn into the atmospheric setting. I remember reading a quote somewhere once about the exceptionally short time an author has to grab a reader’s attention (I tried to find it to include here but I have no idea who said it or where I saw it!) My point is, this author succeeded in hooking me in from the very first page.

I always enjoy stories that bounce between two time periods; I love seeing how an author can link these two eras together. Maxwell did a good job of showing how the present can mirror the past, and kept me suitably intrigued by both timelines. There was a clear difference between the two, particularly in the dialogue, but also thematic similarities.

As I mentioned, this book wasn’t wholly what I expected it to be. I think I was expecting more of an emphasis on the supernatural elements – the myth surrounding Cold Friday and the coyotes. Instead, this was much more of a feminist story; I was surprised by the book’s focus on the treatment of women throughout history and society’s expectations of female roles and behaviour. I did, however, appreciate the ambiguity that the coyote subplot provided; it made for a very interesting reading experience.

I would recommend this book to fans of historical fiction, feminist literature and small-town American settings!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Den.

May 14, 2019 – Started Reading