Owen Townend's Reviews > Doctor Who: The Good Doctor

Doctor Who by Juno Dawson

liked it

During this year's unfathomable absence of Doctor Who, I have been drawn to the BBC-commissioned book series. While a couple of titles in the past have drawn my interest, I must admit to preferring the TV show episodes or indeed Big Finish Audio. This is meant as no dismissal of the talents of the writers, just a personal love of live action adventures in space and time.

That being said I did enjoy The Good Doctor, especially as it is the first official book featuring the controversial Thirteenth Doctor. It confirmed to me that Whittaker's performance is not only strong but very much 'Doctor-ish'. Also I could picture Bradley Walsh expressing Graham's often befuddled observations here, as well as Mandip Gill and Tosin Cole speaking Yaz and Ryan's lines respectively. It also intrigued me to notice very light subtext to a flirtatious intimacy between the Doctor and Yaz, whom some in the fan base seem so very keen to 'ship'.

However, while the characters are well-realised, I'm afraid the plot isn't so much. While I appreciate how it holds up a mirror to the 'old guard' fans of the show who still mumble and grumble about a woman Doctor, the landscape of Lobos is not described as being very alien nor are the background characters fleshed out beyond their key affiliations and plot functions. Also the idea of just how a throwaway comment significantly alters an entire culture isn't sufficiently explored. It merely sets off the plot and is then all but forgotten.

Nevertheless I am aware that such a book is primarily targeted at a much younger audience than I am. I have also certainly been spoiled by Big Finish's complex storytelling and the visual thrills of the main series. In that case, The Good Doctor is as good as most in the BBC book series. It is a fun and very serviceable space filler between TV episodes.

I recommend this to Doctor Who fans, especially those who are craving more adventures with the Thirteenth Doctor.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.

May 14, 2019 – Started Reading