Sabrina Benulis's Reviews > Eternal Shadows

Eternal Shadows by Kate Martin

First, I would like to say that I am one of those people who are notoriously picky with the vampire genre. There's so little about them that hasn't been done already, and even less that isn't done cheesily. However, with Eternal Shadows we have a great example of what can happen when talent meets creativity.
Kate's debut YA novel is an entertaining romance that will definitely appeal to fans of Twilight, but with a strong enough heroine that you also won't be rolling your eyes every five minutes. The story centers around Kassandra Thomas, a girl on the verge of graduating high school when she is forced against her will to become a vampire. The reasons behind why she is chosen to be turned, and the reason why a certain vampire does the turning, are the main mystery that drives the plot. With that, we have the growing affections of Kassandra for this vampire--affections she is reluctant to acknowledge until the exciting past is revealed.
As for the setting, in Eternal Shadows we are introduced to a world of vampires who hide from humans, but are at war with one another in a version of our modern world where they pull the strings of history behind the scenes. Kassandra, though a fledgling vampire, becomes the target for a rebel vampire group intent on revealing their species to humanity. Her struggle to remain out of the antagonist's eye, her mysterious feelings for her vampire sire, and her odd premonitions about one particularly powerful and dangerous vampire come together at the end for a thrilling conclusion that satisfyingly ends this story, while also definitely keeping the door open for a sequel.
At its heart the book is primarily a romance, but in the chaste way vampire romance fans will recognize ala Stephenie Meyer. Think a lot of bated breaths, unspoken longing, and passionate feelings, but coming from a heroine who is definitely more headstrong and outspoken than a Bella Swan.
One or two reviewers have mentioned that they cannot understand the romance between Kassandra and Rhys, but I must add that the chemistry between the two, while slow to develop, hinges a lot on the final third of the book and will recquire a slight commitment on the reader's part to get full satisfaction out of the relationship/story.
In conclusion, this is an entertaining YA vampire romance that will have you eager to turn the pages to see what will happen next. I give Eternal Shadows five stars for creativity, good writing, and a plot that has left me wanting more out of what looks to be a very promising YA series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal Shadows.

February 22, 2012 – Shelved