Gitte TotallyBookedBlog's Reviews > How to Kill a Rock Star

How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo

Feb 22, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-favourites, read-in-2012
Read from February 22 to 24, 2012

I finally got to read the story I've been waiting to read in months. And can I just say there are not enough stars to truly rate this book.

The story is about how Eliza an aspiring music journalist moves to NY to join her brother and his girlfriend. She flat-shares with Paul the lead singer in her brothers band. They fall in love and the story continues with a mass of complications and discoveries.....I'm not going to spoil this story by saying anything else.

I leisurely read it appreciating the amazingly written lines whilst slowly falling in love with the characters, I wasn't on the edge, there was laughs, because of very funny dialogue and mild frustrations; angry and sad.

Then almost half-way through this book I became an emotional woman possessed and frantically read through the night whilst CRYING like a crazy woman! Now you may not consider this to be such a good thing but for me that means this author has totally touched my heart and written a story so REAL that I am emotionally tied to this book. Oh I did try and take breaks but a few minutes into these breaks and I was back in the story because it didn't leave me.

Some of the lines floored me:

"There's a big difference between being alone and being lonely. And I'm guessing that once you've discovered this distinction you can't go back to solitary confinement without serious emotional repercussions."

"I wanted to freeze the moment. Freeze it and jump inside of it and stay there until it melted into the warm, swishy liquid of happy memories."

"Fate is just another word for people's choices coming to a head. Destiny, coincidence, whatever you name it. It inevitably lies in our hands."

"'Eliza, are you crying?' 'It's just that, well, sometimes Happiness hurts.' "

I can't recommend this book enough.

This story will stay with me, just like Paul talking to his tape recorder about Eliza!!!

(But it'll be a long while before I re-read it though...need to get rid of my red puffy eye syndrome first that's for sure ;0))

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Kill a Rock Star.

05/19 marked as: read

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Great review Gitte! I loved the tape recorder idea - thought it was brilliant!

I have to share some quotes that I loved from that book (loved so many!!) had one of these as a FB status for ages. I loved it so much - being a music buff it said everything I feel about music....this one!

It sounds silly, I know. But for me, the power of music rests in its ability to reach inside and touch the places where the deepest cuts lie.
Like a benevolent god, a good song will never let you down.
And sometimes, when you're trying to find your way, one of those gods actually shows up and gives you directions.”

And this was awesome! It said everything.

Break my heart? Is that what you just said? I have news for you; you didn't break my heart. My heart's fine. My heart's in the best shape of its life. You know what you did to me? You took an AK-47 and blew my soul open.”

HILLZ Just finished this last night! This book is my FAVORITE to date! The writing was phenomenal! There were times when I cried, laughed out loud & even felt like I was going to be sick over some of their decisions! VERY POWERFUL story!

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog It is definitely a favorite...I cried like a baby!!! Genius writing!!!

Krystal this one was amazing.. even to this day.. past 4-5 months now, this one has made me cry the most.

B.J. I loved this book, your review makes me want to read it again. Halfway through I turned into an emotional on edge wreck too!