Mary 's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Sarah Beth Durst

bookshelves: 2019, fantasy, middle-grade

Mina is not destined for greatness, she is quiet, always does her best and what is right and a very deliberate person.  Her whole life has been spent preparing for the time when she gets her own weather beast and can contribute to society, but when her egg finally hatches, no one expected that she would be paired with a lightning beast.  Weather is planned in Aloria - a place of bountiful farms and there is no daily struggle with the elements since they are commanded only to be beneficial to society.  While Mina is brave, she lacks in being the guardian of a lightning beast, someone who can take charge and be risky.  Mina goes off to school to learn how to work with her beast named Pixel and from the descriptions, he sounds like a very playful puppy with wings who can collect the energy from thunderstorms and store the energy to power the city.  Mina does make fast friends at school where they encourage her instead of doubting her ability. Although Pixel and Mina share a bond, it sometimes isn't enough to do the job they are training for until Mina discovers an ugly secret about the cost of controlling the weather. This story will have you quickly turning the pages and wanting more about these beasts and how they are trained. But also, there is a cautionary tale about weather change and how you can be brave while not being brash.  I got a bit of Golden Compass vibe from this with the action and adventure with underlying distress of how Mina copes with the secrets she discovers.  I now want a weather beast but I am sure that one wouldn't fit in my yard, let alone my house.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

December 22, 2018 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
December 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
May 13, 2019 – Started Reading