Jonathan Palfrey's Reviews > Theater of Spies

Theater of Spies by S.M. Stirling

liked it

This is the sequel to Black Chamber; and, if you've read that, you'll know what sort of a story to expect. In this one, the American heroines are sent off on another undercover mission to Germany at the end of 1916, so much of the story takes place in wartime Germany in winter, not the most cheerful of environments. It's enlivened by the imaginative action sequences and the varied characters, although most of the characters encountered are minor and don't get a lot of time on stage.

As before, this is a spy story and an alternative-history story, but the emphasis is on the spy story. The scenario is recognizably the First World War, even though there are political and military differences, and some technological advances that didn't happen at that time in our history.

I enjoyed the story well enough on first reading, and I expect I'll buy the next in this series when it comes out. As always with Stirling, a lot of work and expertise has gone into it, and I appreciate that. However, I don't usually read spy stories, because in general I'm not very keen on them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theater of Spies.

May 10, 2019 – Started Reading