Michelle's Reviews > Saint X

Saint X by Alexis Schaitkin

bookshelves: edelweiss-arc-s

This book = BOOK CLUB GOLD!!!

There is so much to chew on and discuss here that book clubs across the globe will be talking about this book come February!

Claire is only 7 years old while vacationing with her family on the tropical island of Saint X. Claire is a quiet child, some may even say a bit odd, but one thing is for certain: Claire and her big sister Alison share a tight bond. She admires Alison's beauty, her wit, her intelligence, the way that she lights up a room, the way people gravitate toward her. These are all things she feels she lacks herself so on a pedestal of her own making Alison goes. Alison on the other hand worries that the shy Claire is too vulnerable for this big bad world and likes to keep her under her wing.

On the last evening of their vacation Alison doesn't come home. A search is initiated and after several weeks her body is discovered in the waters of Faraway Cay. Two of the resort workers, Edwin and Clive, that Alison became chummy with, are questioned but are released due to lack of evidence. No one has ever been charged and this will go down as a local mystery that makes national headlines.

In the present day Claire finds herself making a living in NYC. One day when she flags down a cab she notices upon exiting that the cab drivers name is Clive Richardson. He was one of the young men at the resort that was questioned and released. Claire becomes obsessed with insinuating herself into his life determined to find out what happened to Alison once and for all.

The more Claire looks into the past she is beginning to discover that the Alison she remembers is not who Alison actually was. Being as she was only 7 she saw the 18 year old Alison as a shining star but it turns out that may not be the case and this unsettles her.

I'll be honest and tell you that I didn't really like Alison or the adult Claire very much. As we get to know Alison she comes across as self righteous and bratty. She resents her lovely and loving parents so much that I found it off-putting. I just wanted to scream in my kindle "YOU SPOILED LITTLE BRAT!"

Rich vs. Poor. Black vs. White. These themes run the entirety of the novel.

The ending will have people talking I'm sure. Personally, I didn't mind it but others may not like it.

As I turned the final page I was surprised to discover that the person who stole my heart wasn't who I thought it was going to be when I opened this book up.

Alexis Schaitkin, I bow to you. You can spin a tale like no other. The atmosphere she creates is truly incredible. I felt as if I had been transported to the beaches of Saint X and the streets of NYC while I was reading and that is a sign of phenomenal writing skills. This may also be the downfall of this book as well. It starts to get overly descriptive to the point that I would skim paragraphs just so I could return to the storytelling but, hey, if that's my only gripe then I'm a happy reader. Also, I can't forget to mention that cover is eye candy! 😍 4 stars!

One final note: Celadon, keep up the great work! You have quickly become one of my favorite publishers. 💗

Thank you to Edelweiss and Celadon for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saint X.

May 13, 2019 – Shelved
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: edelweiss-arc-s
August 19, 2019 – Started Reading
August 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

Kimberly Dawn Excellent review, Michelle. Looking forward to reading this one!

Michelle Kimberly Dawn wrote: "Excellent review, Michelle. Looking forward to reading this one!"

Thank you, Kimberly Dawn! 💗 I hope that you enjoy this too.

message 3: by Brandice (new)

Brandice Awesome review, Michelle! This sounds good! :)

Michelle Brandice wrote: "Awesome review, Michelle! This sounds good! :)"

Thanks, Brandice! 💖 This book is one not to miss.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Amazing review, Michelle!! 💖

Michelle Julie wrote: "Amazing review, Michelle!! 💖"

I very much appreciate your kind words, Julie! 💗

Holly  B Sounds fantastic!! 💕💕

Michelle Holly wrote: "Sounds fantastic!! 💕💕"

Thanks, Holly! 💜 Missing persons stories are a dime a dozen but this one is different. It has a very unique format.

preoccupiedbybooks Great review Michelle! This one sounds really interesting :)

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Fantastic review, Michelle! Hadn’t heard of this one before now and I’m definitely intrigued.

Michelle preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "Great review Michelle! This one sounds really interesting :)"

Thank you so much! 😊🌼 I was pleasantly surprised!

Michelle Melissa wrote: "Fantastic review, Michelle! Hadn’t heard of this one before now and I’m definitely intrigued."

Thanks, Melissa! 💗 This one, I think, is going to be wildly successful.

message 13: by Dita (new)

Dita This sounds engrossing and your review is FANTASTIC!

Michelle Dita wrote: "This sounds engrossing and your review is FANTASTIC!"

You're so sweet! Thank you, Dita! 💖

Michelle Nicola wrote: "Wonderful review Michelle! I really enjoy missing person stories! ❤️"

Thank you, Nicola! 🌺💜 If you enjoy missing person stories then this book is for you.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Oooh this sounds good!

message 17: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Michelle! You have me intrigued!

message 18: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Wonderful review, Michelle! Adding!

Michelle Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Oooh this sounds good!"

For a missing persons story I found it had some originality about it. The format was really unique and it worked for me.

Michelle Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Michelle! You have me intrigued!"

Thank you, Meredith! 💜 This is going to be a very successful book, in my opinion.

Michelle Debbie wrote: "Wonderful review, Michelle! Adding!"

Yay! I hope you love it, Debbie! 🌼

message 22: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele Ceron you got me wanting to read it!

Michelle Michele wrote: "you got me wanting to read it!"

That makes me so happy to hear! I hope you love it, Michele! 💕

message 24: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Fantastic review! These Island vacations are growing less and less appealing!! 🌴

Michelle Jayme wrote: "Fantastic review! These Island vacations are growing less and less appealing!! 🌴"

Haha! Thanks, Jayme! 💕

message 26: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Michelle!🤗📚

Michelle Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Michelle!🤗📚"

So appreciated, Kaceey, thank you! 💖

Denise  Reed I'm reading this one now, and I'm loving it so far!

Denise  Reed You nailed it in your review, Michelle! Every single thing you said, I was like “yes, yes!” 😊 And I’m with you - Celadon is quickly becoming my go-to publishing company. They’re putting out amazing stuff!

Michelle Denise wrote: "You nailed it in your review, Michelle! Every single thing you said, I was like “yes, yes!” 😊 And I’m with you - Celadon is quickly becoming my go-to publishing company. They’re putting out amazing..."

Ha! 😊 I love that we both experienced the same thoughts and feelings while reading this book. I am keeping an eye on this author for sure.

Felicia Really great review, Michelle 💖

Michelle Felicia wrote: "Really great review, Michelle 💖"

Thank you, Felicia! 💜

Katie B Great review Michelle! I definitely agree that there is so much to talk about that this would be good selection for a book club.

Michelle Somehow I missed this review - I'm so thrilled to see you loved this. I have this too, but have a million arcs to get to before I can read it. So far Celadon is 100% for me - they haven't failed me yet!

Holly  B Sounds like one I'd enjoy Michelle! Going to check it out.

Michelle Katie wrote: "Great review Michelle! I definitely agree that there is so much to talk about that this would be good selection for a book club."

Thank you, Katie! 🧡 I thought this was an impressive book and I look forward to more of this author.

Michelle Michelle wrote: "Somehow I missed this review - I'm so thrilled to see you loved this. I have this too, but have a million arcs to get to before I can read it. So far Celadon is 100% for me - they haven't failed me..."

Thank you, Michelle! 💕 I should have waited as I have a million other arcs too but my patience is nil. I was just approved for My Dark Vanessa yesterday (YAHOO!) and it's my next up regardless of pub date. I'm terrible. Ha!

Michelle Holly wrote: "Sounds like one I'd enjoy Michelle! Going to check it out."

Thank you, Holly! 💙 I think every one should read this book. I hope you enjoy it.

message 39: by Susanne (new) - added it

Susanne  Strong This sounds amazing Michelle! Fab review! I need this... thank you!

Michelle Susanne wrote: "This sounds amazing Michelle! Fab review! I need this... thank you!"

Thanks so much, Susanne! 💜 I think you're going to love it.

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Loved your review Michelle! This sounds fantastic!

Michelle Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Loved your review Michelle! This sounds fantastic!"

Thanks so much, Kim! 💜 I think this book is a real gem. I hope you love it when you get to it.

message 43: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Wow fabulous review Michelle!! I am definitely intrigued Girl!!

Michelle Kendall wrote: "Wow fabulous review Michelle!! I am definitely intrigued Girl!!"

Thanks, Kendall! 🧡 I think you'll enjoy this one!