Janet's Reviews > The Stationery Shop

The Stationery Shop by Marjan Kamali

it was ok
bookshelves: 2019ng, kindle, book-club-picks

From the award-winning author of Together Tea—a debut novel hailed as “compassionate, funny, and wise” by Jill Davis, bestselling author of Girls’ Poker Night—comes a powerful love story exploring loss, reconciliation, and the quirks of fate.

Roya is a dreamy, idealistic teenager living in 1953 Tehran who, amidst the political upheaval of the time, finds a literary oasis in kindly Mr Fakhri’s neighbourhood book and stationery shop. She always feels safe in his dusty store, overflowing with fountain pens, shiny ink bottles, and thick pads of soft writing paper.

When Mr Fakhri, with a keen instinct for a budding romance, introduces Roya to his other favourite customer—handsome Bahman, who has a burning passion for justice and a love for Rumi’s poetry—she loses her heart at once. And, as their romance blossoms, the modest little stationery shop remains their favourite place in all of Tehran.

A few short months later, on the eve of their marriage, Roya agrees to meet Bahman at the town square, but suddenly, violence erupts—a result of the coup d’etat that forever changes their country’s future. In the chaos, Bahman never shows. For weeks, Roya tries desperately to contact him, but her efforts are fruitless. With a sorrowful heart, she resigns herself to never seeing him again.

Until, more than sixty years later, an accident of fate leads her back to Bahman and offers her a chance to ask him the questions that have haunted her for more than half a century: Why did he leave? Where did he go? How was he able to forget her?

The Stationery Shop is a beautiful and timely exploration of devastating loss, unbreakable family bonds, and the overwhelming power of love.

This book was a fascinating look into the Persian culture and how love works (or can work) in such a time of upheaval.. that said, I found it very slow and boring and struggled to read I and found myself distracted and wishing the book would end ... while barely into it. As a librarian, if I do not learn something new or get engaged in the characters I do not finish the book as there are too many good ones out there to read and review.

(I said that I would be honest!) Don' take my 2star review to be the law and be all of end all ... it may fascinate and entertain you ... it just didn't work for me.

NOTE: I cannot link this review to LinkedIn - there is something wrong with the linking/programming and it will not happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stationery Shop.

May 13, 2019 – Shelved