Trish at Between My Lines's Reviews > A Year of Second Chances

A Year of Second Chances by Kendra Smith

liked it
bookshelves: reviews-done

A Year of Second Chances by Kendra Smith nearly lost me at the very start. So many things annoyed me, so even I am surprised that by the end of the book, that everything had picked up sufficiently for to reverse my initial doubts.

What Bothered Me

- Two characters were shoplifters. One because she was trying to spice up turning 50. I was staring at the page thinking WHAT!
- Then there was inaccuracy about how long an IVF procedure would be.
- A child knew how to pronounce cleavage cos “she heard mummy use the word when she was on-line shopping”. HOW do you hear online shopping. Urrggh.

So I very nearly put down the book and moved on. But something stopped me, I still felt the book had potential.

And the more I read, the more I enjoyed the characters, their various journeys and the laughs, cries and screaming matches they had together. I could relate to the themes about infertility and getting older and wanting more. The mix of characters added balance as they all were at such different stages in life, but united in their yearning to achieve their dreams.

I thought the author made me feel emotional as I read. And I had a few laughs, and surprises along the way. So despite the very rocky start, I’m glad I read this one.

WHO SHOULD READ A YEAR OF SECOND CHANCES BY KENDRA SMITH?
If you would be annoyed by the things I listed, then I don’t recommend this book. If however you are looking for a fun read, that also tackles emotional issues, then maybe this one would be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year of Second Chances.

May 13, 2019 – Started Reading
May 13, 2019 – Shelved
May 14, 2019 –
20.0% "Putting it down for today. The characters are annoying me as they seem immature. Might just be my mood, so I’ll come back to it tomorrow."
May 16, 2019 –
40.0% "Ok, even though a couple of things made me want to scratch my eyes out, as I was so annoyed....I’m coming round. I’m starting to like and appreciate the characters more."
May 18, 2019 –
74.0% "Considering I nearly dnf this book, I’m quite enjoying it now."
May 18, 2019 – Finished Reading