Christy's Reviews > Heartache and Hope

Heartache and Hope by Jay McLean

bookshelves: 2019-five-stars

5+ stars

photo AD63E795-400D-48A1-A8C3-528E74999F7B_zpsl5niax07.png
When the world is at its darkest, that’s when the magic appears.

It's been way too long since I've read a book by Jay McLean, but she's back and better than ever with Heartache and Hope. Seriously, this is one of her best books yet and it gave me all the Kick Push/More Than vibes and that, my friends, is a HUGE compliment. This story was epic. I devoured each page and was left craving more.

Ava Diaz is a teenager, but her life is not like the typical teens. It's a hard life, a life of sacrifice and she does it tirelessly without complaint. She does what needs to be done and what she has to do, even when it's not easy because what's the alternative? Then she meets Connor Ledger and as much as she tries to resist him, she can't. He turns her life upside down. It's the best thing that could ever happen to her but also complicated for her.

Connor is the new guy at his school and a serious athlete. He plays basketball and he's on scholarship for it. He's going to make it big one day and that has been his only focus. Until he meets Ava. Ava is special. She's different. And her life is one Connor can't imagine. They fall for each other and they fall hard. Even though both of them cause each others lives to be more challenging in a way, they need each other desperately.
Love is not a noun. Love is something you do. Something you prove. Something you work hard to create. Love is not something that simply exists because you say it. Love is not a noun. Love is a verb.

There is nothing quite like first love. Reading about the good parts, the angsty parts, all the highs and the lows, I love it so much. Connor and Ava's story was so well done. The writing was amazing and I fell so hard for both of them. Connor is one of Jay's best heroes yet and Ava has to be her strongest heroine. I admire that girl so much. My heart ached for her, but I have hope. Hope that her life will change for the better.

Jay McLean's words are magic. They fill me with so much love and hope. This story had an amazing family dynamic. That's one of the things I loved most about it. It wasn't always an easy read, it definitely gave me all the feels, but it also had me laughing out loud and smiling huge. When a book can do both, that's when it's really special. This book is special. I have no doubt this duet will be sitting pretty on my favorites list for 2019.

If you're looking for a story about young love that's not always easy, pick this book up. I loved every word of this story. Jay McLean will always be one of my favorite authors because no one delivers books like this but her. This one was memorable and unputdownable and I can't recommend it enough!!
“Sometimes hope is the only thing that gets us through to the next day.”

photo 7FF191DA-7026-44E4-9525-35112FCA3192_zpsym56w8gk.png

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartache and Hope.

May 12, 2019 – Shelved
May 12, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 30, 2019 – Started Reading
May 31, 2019 –
36.0% "I'm SO OBSESSED with this book! I'm getting all the More Than series vibes and I'm so here for it!!!"
June 2, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-five-stars
June 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog I hope it's a good one, Christy!
I will be looking forward to getting your thoughts. :)
xoxo

Christy Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog wrote: "I hope it's a good one, Christy!
I will be looking forward to getting your thoughts. :)
xoxo"

I'm loving it, babe! xoxo

Melanie Soooo jealous

Christy Melanie wrote: "Soooo jealous"

It's fantastic <3 <3

message 5: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Glad you loved it, Christy! I am currently reading More Than This. It is my first time ever reading this author- that series has been on my TBR forever!

Christy Linda wrote: "Glad you loved it, Christy! I am currently reading More Than This. It is my first time ever reading this author- that series has been on my TBR forever!"

Yay, Linda! This makes me so excited! She is one of my top favorites <3

message 7: by Miftahul (new) - added it

Miftahul _MsLovesReading_ i never read a book written by this author!! but cant wait to read this book!

Christy Miftahul wrote: "i never read a book written by this author!! but cant wait to read this book!"

Yay! I hope you love it xo

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review Christy!💖😉

Christy Kat wrote: "Excellent review Christy!💖😉"

Thanks, Kat! <3

message 11: by Marta (new) - added it

Marta 😱😍😍😍 THIS IS AMAZING!!!

Christy Marta wrote: "😱😍😍😍 THIS IS AMAZING!!!"

Gahhh! This book is so fantastic <3

message 13: by Melody (new)

Melody Kimmons-Allen Nice review!

Christy Melody wrote: "Nice review!"

Thanks, honey! <3

message 15: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Gilbert Should I wait for the second one before reading this? Does it end in a cliffhanger ?😫

Christy Vanessa wrote: "Should I wait for the second one before reading this? Does it end in a cliffhanger ?😫"

There is a bit of a cliffy but it's not the worst, and book 2 comes out in a week or two!

message 17: by Dilek VT (new) - added it

Dilek VT Awesome review, Christy!

Christy Dilek VT wrote: "Awesome review, Christy!"

Thanks, honey! <3