Doug's Reviews > Night Boat to Tangier

Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry

liked it

3.5, rounded down.

Up to about the 60% point, I wasn't really liking this much, as I found it extremely difficult to follow, and the lack of both narrative cohesiveness and the use of obtuse language (I kept hitting the glossary on my Kindle, only to be told 'No definition found') made it more of a slog than I was prepared for. Yes, the language often took flight into lofty heights of lyrical ecstasy, but I am much more interested in plot than language, and that lack of a narrative just wasn't impressing me much. And I found myself often having to reread those poetic passages to make sense of what was happening on a basic level.

But around about the point where things started coming together (i.e., the chapter in the sheheen - one of those aforementioned unknown words with no definition in the Kindle!), I began to fit the various pieces together, and settled down to enjoy the rest of the ride. I'm still not clear on several minor points, and it seems a lot of it was left purposefully vague, but I let that go and decided it didn't really matter. Perhaps at some point, I'll go back and reread (especially should it make the Booker shortlist), with the rudiments of the plot in mind, and see if it coalesces any better for me. But having read that this started out as a play, and with the Irish gangster milieu, I can't help thinking of this as McDonagh Lite. I can see why it got the Booker nod though, and wouldn't be surprised to find it making the shortlist also.

My sincere thanks to both Netgalley and Doubleday for supplying me with an eBook ARC in return for this honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Boat to Tangier.

May 12, 2019 – Shelved
May 12, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle
July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 26, 2019 – Started Reading
July 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Informative and honest. Great review, Doug.

Doug Kevin wrote: "Informative and honest. Great review, Doug."

Thanx, Kevin!