Holly's Reviews > The True Meaning of Smekday

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

Jul 24, 2008

bookshelves: animals, boy-friendly, grades-2-5, grades-5-8, science-fiction
Read in July, 2008

Funniest book I've read in YEARS, and so heartwarming without being the slightest bit sappy. J.Lo, the alien Boov, is such a great character, but I can't imagine who I could compare him to to help you get a sense of him. And having a cat named Pig along for their journey (I won't give away any more details about the importance of Pig!) was just gravy. I love the last line of the book: "And as far as pets go, a cat is a nice thing to have."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Meaning of Smekday.

Quotes Holly Liked

Adam Rex
“Is there a short-eared koobish, then?'
Mmmyes ...' said J.Lo. 'But it is technically not really a koobish. Is more alike a kind of singing pumpkin.'
We had conversations like these all the time, where I just eventually gave up.”
Adam Rex, The True Meaning of Smekday
tags: humor

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I'm reading this now. (My goodreads is not current.)

Holly OH I'm so glad to hear you're reading it! When I finished it yesterday, I immediately had that rare feeling when you're really sad you're finished with a book. Then I kept thinking about it and laughing OUT LOUD while I mowed the lawn, and calling people "poomps" in my head--pardon my language--and came very close to just going to the bookstore to buy a copy. (I couldn't do it because I am spending every minute this weekend trying to get ready for my garage sale tomorrow.) Anyway, I was all set to email you to talk you in to reading this, since your last message said you needed a novel to get in to. I hope you like this one at least half as much as I did. I'm going to reward myself with my own copy tomorrow night AFTER this damn garage sale it over!