Samantha's Reviews > Frederick

Frederick by Leo Lionni

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: classic-picture-book

Living on an abandoned farm is hard work for a family of mice. They must spend every hour of the day working to gather corn and nuts for the winter. The entire group dedicates themselves to the labor...all except a mouse named Frederick. Gathering words and colors inside his head seems like a waste of time to everyone else! As the warm days turn to cold and the food is almost gone, the mice grow quiet and rather bored. Just when hope seems lost, Frederick introduces what he has been saving up for winter..magical words! He sends "rays of sun" and vibrant images of color to all of the helpless mice. And what do you know...Frederick is a poet!

The brilliance of Leo Lionni's storyline in Frederick seems effortless. This book is every dreamer's support. It sends a message that sometimes people that may seem out of the ordinary, might actually hold a wonderful new idea yet to be discovered! It exemplifies the power of words. Simple speeches have changed the world. This fact can be introduced to elementary-aged children starting with this narrative. It makes the reader reflect on perhaps a time when words spoke to the heart. Frederick's impact made me ponder on all the stories or songs I have listened to, that changed my life. I want to take Frederick's poem and post it in my own classroom somewhere.

"Aren't we lucky the seasons are four? Think of a year with one less...or one more!" This is my favorite line in his poem.

Leo Lionni did himself a great favor illustrating his own text. I am not sure if the same whimsical expression would have been demonstrated if someone else created them. The story did not require detailed, intricate pictures. Frederick was a dreamer, who didn't seem to have a care in the world. The blurred edges around each object make it seem life you are opening a book to a dream. The artwork makes the story relate-able to young children.

I enjoyed this story so much, that I went out and bought it for my own personal collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frederick.