Suzanna's Reviews > The Water and the Blood

The Water and the Blood by Nancy E. Turner

Jul 24, 2008

Read in August, 2008

While this didn't hold me the way These is My Words did, the author's aim was entirely different here, and I think she got what she wanted. The former is more of a southern epic, a wonderful storytelling with some symbolism and messages to take to heart. This book, however, was more scholarly in my mind: heavy-laden with symbolism, allusions, and making bold, important statements about the human condition and what it should be, versus how it is and was.

The Water and the Blood follows the growth of a girl into her womanhood. It's historically based, beginning in the Depression and going through the war and post-war years that follow. She is an outcast, both within her family and socially, until she leaves her small town. Part of what makes her an outcast is her vision of people and of herself; to the heroine, color and gender are not the markers of what makes a person. She finds a group in which she fits, only to discover later that they only fit together because they were in a situation in which they were freed from certain restraints and pulled together by others.

I felt this novel was very well written. There are layers upon layers in it - well worth the dive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water and the Blood.