Becky B's Reviews > Rising Water: The Story of the Thai Cave Rescue

Rising Water by Marc Aronson

liked it
bookshelves: ya-nonfiction, juvenile-non-fiction, history, asian-lit-setting-characters

An account of the rescue of the 12 boys and their coach who were trapped in a cave in northern Thailand when rains flooded their way out in June 2018.

This account tries to give an equal look at all the different countries and groups involved in the cave rescue. It was written very quickly in order to be one of the first accounts to hit the book market. Aronson talks about the pressure and downfalls of writing on such a short schedule in notes at the end. This is a pretty succinct account of the events. Aronson does spend a little extra page time to help readers understand what it means to be stateless since the coach and a few of the boys are stateless. I live in Thailand and know several people who know people involved in these events. I've heard several details that totally didn't make Aronson's book, but I also learned many things from the book that I hadn't heard. I will be really interested to see how our Thai students respond to Aronson's telling and his portrayal of Thailand and Thai customs. I don't think they'll always approve of the way he presented things, but I do appreciate that he had 3 Thais help him in his research so that is much more minimal than it could have been. I hear there is a version of this story being written by a Thai woman and I'll be very interested to read her book. This is a very readable nonfiction book. It isn't very long, and kids/teens who remember these events in the news will likely be curious to learn more so it provides a good reading option to entice them.

Notes on content: No language issues. No sexual content. One death of a diver that isn't gorily or sensationally described.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rising Water.

May 12, 2019 – Started Reading
June 7, 2019 – Shelved as: juvenile-non-fiction
June 7, 2019 – Shelved as: history
June 7, 2019 – Shelved as: asian-lit-setting-characters
June 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Dulaney Did I message you about the author I “met” at the Texas Library Conference, Christina Soontornvat? She is a native Thai who grew up in the states. She tends to write for fantasy for middle grades but has an upcoming children’s book on the soccer team rescue called “All Thirteen.” She was able to get some interviews and photographs that others might not have due to her Thai heritage and family connections.

Becky B Yes, you did. I'm looking forward to reading her book. I feel like it will be better for our school coming from a Thai author.