Princess Debz's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: dystopia, fairy-tales, young-adult, i-own-it, for-review, best-books-ever, clean-reads, read-in-2012, for-review-arc, retelling, fairy-tales-retold-challenge, series
Read 2 times. Last read October 20, 2012 to October 23, 2012.

Have you ever read a book and thought "There's no way the sequel can measure up"? I know I have! It was called Cinder. Cinder was filled with memorable characters, a unique setting, a thrilling plot, outstanding writing, and a cliffhanger ending like no other. Easily the best book I've ever read. That is, until Scarlet.

Scarlet had all that awesome stuff, but it also had the magic that came from introducing a completely new plot to the already remaining plot from the first book. A new set of characters and their problems becoming entwined in those of the first books characters, and as you continue reading you begin to make connections between the two and by the end you're positive you've solved everything. And then you're wrong and completely in awe of Marissa Meyer for being such a genius.

I love the new setting. While the cast of Cinder (for the most part) remains in New Beijing, Scarlet resides in the French countryside, and travels throughout France as the story progresses. As someone who's experienced the magic and charm of France, it was great to revisit it with some of my favorite characters.

The new characters were amazing. Scarlet was even more of a kick-butt heroine that Cinder ever was. She was feisty and occasionally stubborn, but she was strong and clever. And Wolf. I could never quite figure out which side he was on, and even now I'm not quite sure I remember which side he was on by the end because the climax was so exciting I kept turning pages faster than I could probably absorb all the information. Anyway... Wolf was obviously a complex character, and he had both great tension and chemistry with Scarlet.

If you haven't had the pleasure of experiencing Cinder yet, you should get on that! Or if you have read Cinder, whether or not you fell in love with it, I strongly recommend you pre-order Scarlet, because I have a feeling you won't be disappointed.

Very Mild Sexual Content: (A couple kisses and some awkward flirting)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

February 21, 2012 – Shelved
April 19, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopia
June 15, 2012 – Shelved as: fairy-tales
September 18, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 10, 2012 – Shelved as: i-own-it
October 10, 2012 – Shelved as: for-review
October 20, 2012 – Started Reading
page 30
6.64% "#fairytaleathon: yes, you should be jealous, because it's already outstanding!"
page 30
page 116
25.66% "#fairytaleathon: This is too good! I would totally stay up all night finishing this if it weren't for the fact that I need to wake up at 6 tomorrow ):"
October 22, 2012 –
page 247
54.65% "When I chose this for #fairytaleathon, I didn't realize it was such a chunker! Well, I'll definitely finish it off soon! It's just too good!"
October 23, 2012 – Shelved as: best-books-ever
October 23, 2012 – Shelved as: clean-reads
October 23, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012
October 23, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 25, 2012 – Shelved as: for-review-arc
November 20, 2012 – Shelved as: retelling
December 3, 2013 – Shelved as: fairy-tales-retold-challenge
December 4, 2013 – Shelved as: series
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
February 14, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 14, 2014 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)