Robert Owens's Reviews > Girl Waits with Gun

Girl Waits with Gun by Amy  Stewart

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, historical-fiction, fiction, cozy-mystery-bookclub, kindle

This was the book I was supposed to read for the April cozy mystery book club at the library. I was still recovering from my foot surgery, so I didn't attend and hadn't read the book despite having picked it up. I decided to give this a read.

I was a bit into this when I noted how refreshing this book is from the normal cozy mystery. No girl moved back home after making it on her own. No dog. No two suitors. No cat. No tea.

This is set in the early 1900s. Three sisters live together on a farm. We learn the back story that one of the sisters is actually the daughter of the eldest. Times were different. It was about here that I learnerd this was based on a true story.

We have a small town mobster. THis was set in Patterson, NJ. Being from Jersey. this was welcomed. The mobster's automobile rammed the sisters' buggy. They sought damages; he provided intimidation. He was a silk dyer. He ran boarding houses, had knocked up a girl, took the baby, and continued harrassing the sisters. Constance, the eldest, stood up for herself.

With the help of the local sheriff, she was able to piece altogether and get a conviction so they could live happily ever after.

This was a welcomed departure from the formula. Worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Waits with Gun.

Started Reading