Kathy Davie's Reviews > Seawitch

4222001
Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, urban
Read in August, 2012

Seventh in the Greywalker urban fantasy series revolving around Harper Blaine in Seattle.

My Take
Poor Solis. He's had his suspicions about Harper and they're all about to be confirmed. And then some. It turns out he has an ulterior motive to learn more about what he's suspected.

There's a strange sort of magic surrounding Harper in this one. Not the usual vampires and witches. Still, I suppose if Richardson is going to up the legal end of things with Solis as Harper's partner for this case, it's only fair. We also go home with Solis and meet the family---Harper finds out how he talks about her at home. We also learn something of his own childhood worries.

Appropriately, Richardson tosses a lot of red herrings around in this. Critters, unexplainable murders, Fielding's stories which change with the tide,

Then there's the actions to repel boarders...it certainly appeals to Zantree!

The Story
Harper is hired by the insurance company to find out where the Seawitch has been for the past 27 years when it suddenly shows up back at its original berth. Moldy, mildewed, and falling apart.

Oh, there's a mystery here, all right. But nothing like Harper would expect.

The Characters
Harper Blaine has died three times so far in her life. Each death brings a change has made it more and more possible for her to walk the Grey and protect it. She's a Greywalker, the Hands of the Guardian, Paladin of the Dead. Chaos is her clever, little ferret and Quinton is her boyfriend, recently recruited back into the agency. Not much choice really.

James Purlis, Quinton's dad, is circling around again and he's started up a Ghost Division, looking for paranormals. Seems he's figured out the same things Quinton did. And he's insisting on Quinton's participation. A man whom Quinton describes as "a step away from Satan".

Detective Sergeant Rey Solis is with the Seattle PD and increasingly suspicious of Harper. Ximena is his wife and the one he's worried about. Especially with an example like his mother-in-law, Mama Gomez, in the house! Mario, Oscar, Martha, and Luis are his kids.

Her friends, Mara and Ben Danziger, are out of the country doing research for a book and he's been offered a teaching position in England.

Linda Starrett is the widow of the assumed-deceased Castor, the owner of the Seawitch. I wouldn't call her a happy widow, but she's certainly pleased to be one, for her husband was a wastrel. His death was her release from his cruelty. Odile Carson had her own issues with her spouse, Les Carson. She and Linda were lovers---above the line. Other passengers besides Les and Castor on that fateful trip included Ruth Ireland; Shelly "One-Night" Knight who seems to have a doppelganger came aboard as cook; Janice Prince was a boater, a woman who simply wanted to be around boats whom her mother thought was confused; and, Gary Fielding, another skirtchaser, standing in as captain for Reeve.

John Reeve was the regular captain of the Seawitch. Just not that trip. He unexpectedly provides clues he never knew he had. Jacque Knight, a woman with a strong sense of magic abouther, is caretaking aboard the Pleiades and loves to sing. Paul Zantree owns the Mambo Moon and well remembers Shelly Knight.

I like Ruth Ireland's family. Her father, Walter, is disabled, but his remaining son and daughter, Jon and Jen, are happy to keep an eye on him and tease him.

The Guardian Beast is, technically, her boss. Only he's not much on communication.

Father Otter is the clan chief of the dobhar-chú, the water hounds.

The Cover
The cover is surprisingly brown. My first thought would have been blues for all the marine influence, but then again, considering the rot and decay, perhaps the browns that find the Seawitch listing in the background, with a decrepit pier behind Harper in her tan trenchcoat is the more appropriate choice.

It's all about the Seawitch. Where she's been, what happened to her, and why she's back.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seawitch.

message 1: by Brigid (new)

Brigid This series looks really intriguing! Would you be able to tell me if there is a little romance?

Kathy Davie Well, Quinton is her boyfriend, but there isn't much in the way of the usual level of romance I find in most books I read. In fact, sex is almost nonexistent.