Darcia Helle's Reviews > If She Wakes

If She Wakes by Michael Koryta

bookshelves: review-copies, fiction, suspense-thriller-mystery

If She Wakes is a multi-layered psychological thriller. Because there are so many different facets to this story, it takes a while for all the pieces to start fitting together. Initially, it might feel like there are too many different subplots, but once they connect the story is an intense roller coaster ride.

I found the parts featuring Tara and locked-in syndrome to be both compelling and disturbing. Despite her character never leaving the bed, she brought a lot of emotion and intensity to the story.

I wasn't as big a fan of Abby, who wallowed in self-pity and alcohol through a big chunk of the book. That being said, her character still felt real. I just don't have a lot of patience for people (or characters) who wallow. And while we spent a whole lot of time wallowing in the past over her accident and dead actor boyfriend, we were never told why she wasn't held legally responsible. This omission gnawed at me.

My favorite character was a young man called Dax. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll only say that he fascinated me.

The early scenes with Professor Oltamu and certain things he did made no sense. Even when the reasoning was disclosed, it seemed weird, clearly done to launch the plot but not particularly believable.

Aside from my quibbles with certain aspects, I enjoyed the story overall. The pace is quick and the story certainly held my attention.

*I received a review copy from the publisher, via Amazon Vine.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If She Wakes.

May 11, 2019 – Started Reading