Verity Buchanan's Reviews > The Book of Secrets

The Book of Secrets by M.L. Little

"If you listen close, you can hear the world waking up." - Hazel Fenneby, The Book of Secrets

I love this book.

It is a book with a message, it is a book with power, it is a book that means something. It is a book that breathes.

The Book of Secrets jump-starts with a prologue that is crammed with the most delicious, whimsical fantasy world-building ever. If you don't like whimsy, you're not going to like this book. If you adore it (like me) this book is going to send you into the seventh heaven.

That's not to say the prologue is an info-dump. Far from it! It's just juicy with tidbits, and at the same time pulls off one of the most exciting and question-inducing hooks I've ever read. You'll be asking them, too. Who is the man from Caravel? What happens to Gabriel and the stone?

The story revolves around the Draven family, and specifically thirteen-year-old, undersized Gabriel Draven. From the first page onward, Night knit me to this oddball family. None of the children quite fit in anywhere; all cope in their own unique ways. Ren and her hunting, independent and somehow neither girlish nor tomboyish, just her very own person hiding so much beneath the surface. Gabriel, intelligent, creative, and too curious for his own good -- then too scared to face the consequences. Hollis, a peculiar nine-year-old bookworm, seeking entertainment in whatever innovative way he can get it. Dale is quite the most normal of the five, providing a sensible backup here and there though he doesn't play much into the story, but if you watch him closely enough, you get to love him too. Patch, the adorable, childish youngest, with a strange perceptivity for his six years.

Plot: unique, complex, and jumpy -- just like Gabriel. Could be dizzying with the many geographical leaps (that's what happens with a time-traveling stone!), but M.L. Little carries it off with a skillful balance of dialogue and character bonding.

World: a winsome mashup of punks and eras that shows the glory of a writer who isn't afraid to use fantasy in its fullest potential. The world of Glennerdells works, in its funny combination of trains, horses, and photography. Don't try too hard to explain it. It just needs to be.

I read TBoS in its earliest form and loved it, and now that it is polished and perfected I love it more than ever. If you want a world of rough-and-tumble, of mystery, family, and heartbreaking beauty, read The Book of Secrets. You will not regret the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Secrets.

Finished Reading
May 11, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by M.L. (new) - added it

M.L. Little I 100% approve of the fact that "Night" still snuck its way in here.

Never change it.

Verity Buchanan M.L. wrote: "I 100% approve of the fact that "Night" still snuck its way in here.

Never change it."