Gabriela Pop's Reviews > The Furies

The Furies by Katie Lowe

liked it

CW: death of a parent& sibling,drug use,heavy drinking,rape
This was such an odd little book and I think at least part of its charm comes from that. It was in an even more liminal state,not quite YA,yet not quite adult,an old mix of a youth story reframed through an adult mindset looking back. It was such an interesting in depth analysis of the life altering, overwhelming toxic relationships and bonds people can form with one another and the way they set you up for the future. There are many forms of grief interwoven throughout the story,some more noticeable than others,some less explored than others,yet compelling nevertheless.
I do wish some of the character study would have gone more in depth, there are quite a few narrative gaps that,while interesting to attempt to fill in by yourself,it did almost make it feel as if there was half the story missing. I thought the main character herself was rather lifelike and whatnot,but the rest of those around her definitely not as much. Part of it seems like it's because of them being portrayed through the perspective of this wee bit clueless person,especially in retrospect after years since the events of the book, but part of it just feels like a bit of an afterthought. Since the dynamics between these girls is what's really at the core of the book, I do wish we would have gotten to see more of that. You get to know about as much as the character does about her best friend,but I,for one,still have a lot of questions about her. The other two girls,however,have definitely not received the same kind of attention. You still get the main idea of them and how they all function as a group and individuals within that,but,alas,there was still something missing for me.
I do have to say there should be extra points give by the unique take on witchy YA/thriller. As previously mentioned, I feel like it's the hybrid quality of the book that gives it some of its value. When it come to the witchy element in particular,as that is what initially drew me into the book,I will go further and say that 1.I loved the ambiguity and the uncertainty as to what is of this world and what is above it,I do love some blurred lines between the real and the surreal and 2.I thought the use of a Classical framework made this such a unique take on this type of story and it overall added to that dark academia aesthetic as well,which was a really nice touch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Furies.

May 11, 2019 – Started Reading