Becki's Reviews > The God Who Sees: Immigrants, the Bible, and the Journey to Belong

The God Who Sees by Karen Gonzalez

bookshelves: faith, memoir-biography, arc

My mind was blown by this book. I'm a white woman who grew up in a fundamental denomination. It's just been in the last few years that I realized that I had only been taught one perspective of theology and have begun reading books exploring theology from other social locations.

This book is a fascinating mix of theological study, memoir (Gonzalez immigrated from Guatemala as a child), and primer on the US immigration process. I have read the bible through multiple times and I was still stunned by details that Gonzalez uncovered. Here's an example... Hagar was probably not actually the name of Sarah's handmaiden. In ancient Hebrew, Hagar means "Foreign Thing". This woman- who had already been treated so callously and egregiously, had an encounter with God in the desert in which she- a "Foreign Thing"- named God. My jaw dropped. I'm so glad that I read this book- I highly recommend it!

Disclosure- I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion, which I am always happy to give. ;) #TheGodWhoSees #NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Who Sees.

May 10, 2019 – Started Reading