Molly's Reviews > Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me

Feb 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: humor
Read from February 21 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy

Chelsea Handler, star of E!'s Chelsea Lately, has found a genius way to make more money pretty easily. Instead of writing another humorous book of essays about her life she tasked friends and family with writing them for her. The trade-off is that she is referred to very colorfully and in embarrassing ways. However, Chelsea always gets the last word at the end of each essay. And, since the essays are about the practical jokes she has pulled on each person, in the end the writer looks like the dumb one, not Chelsea. Brilliant.

I have been a fan of Chelsea's show since it first appeared on cable TV. In recent years I have gotten away from regular viewings, so when I need a dose of twisted, raunchy, mean-girlish behavior I pick up one of her books to read instead. My husband keeps giving them to me as gifts - I think more so that he can read them himself without any stigma attached.

I enjoyed this collection better than those I have read penned entirely by herself. I liked the variety of voices and personalities. The theme was the same with each one - "here are the stupid ass things Chelsea told me just to see if I was dumb enough to fall for it - and I was." Some of them are pretty damn funny. Others seem moronic. Very few are truly mean. Though I must say, I don't think I want Chelsea to like me any time soon because I don't want to be subjected to any of the pranks she pulls on those she holds most dear.

As in her own books, here you will find non-stop tales of sex, lewd public displays, drinking, drugs and obnoxious and immature behavior. This all makes me laugh. And shake my head. And then laugh some more. I believe everyone has a juvenile side and it needs to be let out for pleasure every now and then.

Once you embrace what you are in for, you should enjoy the ride. It worked well with my current limited time for reading - easy to pick up and put down, mindless and funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me.