Jan's Reviews > The Scene

The Scene by R.M. Gilmore

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: currently-reading

In her search to discover whether or not vampires are real, we find Dylan Hart in Los Angeles, trying to make her way as a journalist, pay off her student debt and get her front door open. She has body issues, money trouble and two men she doesn't know what to do with.

Dylan's decision to write a book, and cash-in on the blood-drained bodies of prostitutes, begins her on her Odyssey. Slicing her way through the absurd, the ethereal and the deadly serious, of the underground vampire community, with her twenty-first century Marlowe-esque straight-razor wit.

A "Thelma and Louise On Steroids" relationship with best-friend, Tatum, epitomizes the sentiment, "A good friend will help you move. A best friend will help you move a body". The only question when it comes to Tatum, is whose?

But Dylan's crunchy coating hides a soft, creamy, center. She soon finds herself hunting down the murderers for a higher purposes than fame and money. Although that would be okay too.

I loved this book! I'm not usually into vampires, but this isn't your usual vampire fare.

It's quirky, creepy and laugh-out-loud hilarious. There's a good, solid, mystery in The Scene, and well crafted characters in place for the rest of Dylan's Odyssey. RM Gilmore has me hooked!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scene.