Oriana's Reviews > No One Belongs Here More Than You

No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July

Jul 07, 2007

bookshelves: read-2007, the-new-new-new-new-thing, i-liked-it-so-there

This book was perplexingly good. The best adjective I can come up with for these stories is sharp. Not sharp like "clever" or whatever, but sharp like sharp, like a knife or thorns or something that actually cuts you. The stories all hurt, really, which is why I say perplexingly good. I mean, it's hard to say you like something that leaves you feeling like you just got a hole punched in you. Everyone is just so lonely, so unloved, so despairing.

Anyway though, I did like it. A lot. "Something That Needs Nothing" is easily the best story in the book, and it nearly made me howl. "How to Read Stories to Children" is fantastic as well.

Very nice, Miranda. I don't think I could handle being your friend, but I'll def read anything you write.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One Belongs Here More Than You.

Finished Reading
July 7, 2007 – Shelved
August 28, 2007 – Shelved as: read-2007
October 13, 2008 – Shelved as: the-new-new-new-new-thing
October 11, 2010 – Shelved as: i-liked-it-so-there

message 1: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Sonky Like, physical pain?

message 2: by Oriana (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oriana kinda, yeah. Everyone is just so sad and lonely and hopeless. Not pain like breaking your leg, but pain like being hungry maybe, or nauseous. Like a mental pain made physical.

message 3: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Sonky I get it. Thanks!

message 4: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jason Pettus Jesse Thorn of the public-radio show "The Sound of Young America" did a GREAT interview with July earlier this summer; the free mp3 archive of it can be found at the TSOYA website, MaximumFun.org.

message 5: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Sonky What a thoughtful referral! Thanks kindly.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 26, 2008 03:42PM) (new)

Oriana, despite the major hipster backlash against Ms. July, I thought this was a very good compilation, too! (I even really liked her movie, which makes me a terrible cinematic poseur, I imagine, but fuck everyone. It's just good shit!)

P.S. I still have that Cortazar (Hopscotch) waiting in the wings... I haven't snubbed your recommendation.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I was told by a much-respected friend to read this book of stories...seems that I should.

Oriana David, I just saw the movie, and I liked it too! Though not, I think, as much as I liked the book. And get on that Hopscotch shit! It'll change your life, I swear.

Jessica, yes, I do think you should read it. In retrospect, I think the collection is a bit uneven, but the good ones are real good.

message 9: by W.B. (last edited Mar 27, 2008 11:39AM) (new)

W.B. I haven't read Miranda's book. Your review makes me think I will. The movie was cute in that despairing way. Despair can be cute. Who knew.

A lot of people hate her b/c she's Ms. Indy and she comes from such a privileged background. But she never put the satin sash on herself.

God knows she's ripe for parody right now. You know your cultural capital is good legal tender when you're ripe for parody.

She is a bit of grantmonster (she probably invented the term "grantsmanship") and even if she didn't come from money she would be very wealthy from her public and private funding alone.

Her parents are interesting people. Her childhood was apparently quite strange and rather interesting. I think she inherited that drive from two driven people.

I guess she's just what they called in the old days a "smart cookie."

I think she looks great on film too.

She started out as one of those performance artist museum types, but quickly evolved into a media darling...

message 10: by W.B. (new)

W.B. When I checked sales on this book on Amazon back in the summer it was somewhere like number 200...for a collection of short fiction! That number was not a fluke as it stayed around there for some time.

That's an amazing accomplishment and I think belies the possibility that she is a "chick-lit" pheonm, as numbers like that mean your book is just selling across the board, everywhere, to about everyone.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica W.,just curious: how is it you know so much about her? Her background & childhood? interesting stuff...

message 12: by W.B. (new)

W.B. I just Google a lot of shite, Jessica, and I have a lot of friends in NY publishing and of course she was one of THE people being discussed ad infinitam, ad nauseam this past summer...

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I knew it! Oprah W. B.!

message 14: by W.B. (last edited Mar 28, 2008 08:58AM) (new)

W.B. Are Oprah and Gayle really a couple? Sometimes I hear that. But I never really read enough about her to know. These people assert "Straightman" (Steadman) is her beard. Big Gay Oprah would be pretty awesome though.

No One Belongs Here More than Big Gay Oprah.

That will be the name of my short story collection.

Oriana Oh man, W., that's the funniest book title I've heard all day!! I can't wait to read it...

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I like it too! I'm WB's biggest fan!

message 17: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie Regarding painful stories: I feel the same way about depressing stories (assuming depressing isn't another way of describing a story as painful)-- I enjoy reading depressing stories -- if they're well written! (The Kite Runner comes to mind.)

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Ha! "I don't know if I could handle being your friend, but I'll def read anything you write." I had the same thought.

message 19: by Paquita Maria (new)

Paquita Maria Sanchez Ha, yeah...hanging out with her would be rough, methinks. Every scene in that Me and You and Whoever movie where she was working on her performance art just made me want to knock the piss out of her and scream "You are not Laurie Anderson, woman!"

Oriana hahaha, now I want to go watch that movie again!