Mymymble's Reviews > What Belongs to You

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

it was ok
Read 3 times

Cruel, xenophobic, sexual tourism.

The second, flashback, sequence was dull and unnecessary like he was padding out with an old creative writing class submission.
The first and third chapters weren't dull. I hope they weren't based in autobiography as some interviews suggested. I originally gave it 3* because of the structure and dullness of the second section.
But I actually don't like this book. Even if ironic imperialism was a good basis for a love story it didn't come off like irony which isn't appropriate about this subject anyways. I won't be reading more of the author's work. And I do hope this was totally fiction. The MC was a monster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Belongs to You.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
July 3, 2016 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
July 3, 2016 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
May 10, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lyn (new) - added it

Lyn Sorry it this didn't work for you, but your review has me intrigued. :-)

message 2: by Mymymble (last edited May 12, 2019 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mymymble Lyn wrote: "Sorry it this didn't work for you, but your review has me intrigued. :-)"

It's got loads of prize nominations. But it shocked and saddened me, especially if it was partially true. Go for it, Lyn, but be prepared to possibly hate it. It does have a good feel for the former Soviet bloc.