Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Never Have I Ever

Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson

bookshelves: arc, contemporary, drama, thrillers

This was an enjoyable, twisty, albeit slightly far-fetched, domestic thriller set in a middle-class suburban neighbourhood where everyone knows everyone, or do they?

Never Have I Ever begins when mysterious new neighbour, Angelica Roux, crashes Amy Whey and her best friend’s Char’s book club. A few glasses of wine and light banter later, the compelling Roux lures the mothers into a drunken game revealing long hidden secrets. Amy isn’t so willing to let hers slip. However, Roux already knows about her dark secretive past and is determined to make her pay. Maybe Amy’s life isn’t so straightforward after all.

I loved reading from Amy’s perspective. Here we have a realistic middle-aged suburban mother revealing the dark secrets of her past. She is a guilt-ridden woman who is willing to do anything to protect her beloved ordinary life and all its intricacies. Is she prepared to risk it all to save herself?

As the days went by, I couldn’t help but feel frustrated with Amy. Through her repetitive internal monologue, she reveals her abhorrence for lying, especially to her loved ones. Despite this, she continually made decisions which always involved doing just that. Considering the traumatic accident of her past, I expected she would have learned that lies only grow deeper and come back with a vengeance. Nonetheless, the cat and mouse chase between the two scheming women was so addicting and I was itching to see who would eventually come on top.

This book is a spider-web of secrets, relationships, tragedy, teenage love, motherhood and everything in between. Never Have I Ever is a twisty thriller which kept me on the edge of my seat right until the very end.

Thank you Raven Books, Bloomsbury Publishing and NetGalley for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Have I Ever.

May 10, 2019 – Shelved
May 28, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 28, 2019 – Shelved as: drama
May 28, 2019 – Shelved as: thrillers
May 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK Great Review!