Nana's Reviews > The Road Home

The Road Home by Richard Paul Evans

F 50x66

The book has a lot of history about Route 66 and the people he meets along the way. I kept thinking about the first Walk series, which the anticipation was so high. I just couldn't wait to see what was happening next. This book and the series didn't have that for me. I kept thinking it was like Route 66, in its glory days, all the action, fun and excitement but now there isn't much there and the excitement isn't there.
Charles James as he was walking along Route 66, starting learning about himself and when he met a homeless man, and then stayed at the homeless shelter, that was like a light bulb went off for him. He asked himself as he was leaving to continue his walk, why God didn't do something? Then he said, He just did. It was like this was his defining moment when what he set out to do, came to a realization and he became a changed man. The transformation in him was amazing, and it was nice to be a part of his journey. His goal was to walk the route 66 to California to his ex-wife and his son and try to get her back. When he got there, it wasn't what I was expecting, so there were surprises along the way, some insight and when asked why he did it, he said to decide if he wanted to live or not. Maybe this is why the book didn't have the excitement because having the choice of continuing letting everyone think your dead or coming forward is a pretty solemn place. So for me, the author wrote this book as it had to be written and I am glad the story was told. Like Charles's journey, reading the book was like his journey. I didn't realize until finishing the book and thinking back on it, all that had gone into the book. I can see the parallel between his journey and route 66 and why Richard Paul Evans chose for James to walk this route. It may not of have had the excitement but it sure had the depth and feeling of what route 66 had and has now. Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road Home.

Finished Reading