Jessica (Step Into Fiction)'s Reviews > Enders

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: arcs, 4-stars
Read in December, 2013

Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

If you have NOT read Starters, please read with caution. There are some spoilers that were unavoidable. Proceed with caution . . .

I really enjoyed Starters. It was something new, with an amazing plot, fantastic characters and an enticing romance. Enders is all of that except for one; the romance. It wasn't there. There was a weak attempt at one but it never fully took off nor was it appealing in the slightest. The good news? That's the only thing I didn't like about this book.

So that's what I'll start off with. The bad, or bad-ish. In the first book, we had the relationship with Blake and that was a cute, sizzling romance but it turned out to be false. It put a damper on everything (though I've always been a big advocate for Michael so I might be biased). Then there's Michael, who I love dearly, and he's still just . . . there. Friend-zone. But then we meet this mysterious new guy named Hyden (love that name, btw). Hyden turns out to be so much more than what we could've imagined. There's a lot of tie ins that are fantastic but this relationship, if we can call it that, seems forced and just . . . random. I know it's not but it just doesn't come across well. However, because the story, the characters and the book, as whole, is so fantastic, I can totally overlook this tidbit. Though, we all know I'm sucker for the romance bits of these books so it was disappointing, for me.

I love, love, LOVE the friendship between Michael and Callie. Though, I've always wished it to be more but I'm okay with what they have. They're super close, they care deeply about each other and they would risk their lives for the other. How many friends can you say you'd sacrifice yourself for? I bet you that list is either really small or non-existent. There's just something so pure about their relationship. The ending is just . . . perfection, especially for them. Take that as you will . . .

We find out just how dangerous the Metals are - though they can't be used as killers directly, it doesn't mean they still can't be used as killers. I know, it makes absolutely no sense but it will when you read the book, I assure you. It's crazy that even with Prime destroyed that there's still a way for the Old Man to control Metals for his own purposes.

This book will blow your mind. I am not kidding you. I thought I had it figured out, how certain things and people came together and wow, was I wrong. I didn't see it coming and then I kicked myself for not seeing it come but I was so surprised that I loved it. So not only did Enders have a few shocking moments thrown in; the book was also full of so much suspense and mystery.

This is not a book to read if you haven't read Starters. Not only are you missing out on a great book but you are missing out on so much that is important to this story. If you've read Starters, then you'll enjoy this so much. It's a fantastic follow up and it's got everything (and then some) you'd want in the book - minus a romance but really, that didn't bother me as much as you'd think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enders.

12/07/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/08/2013 page 51
17.0% "I don't trust you..."
12/10/2013 page 204
70.0% "The story is addicting but I'm sad about lack of romance and really bummed about the attempt of it (and with whom) buuuuut I'm having trouble putting this down. Shits going boom and you can't trust anyone!"
12/10/2013 page 224
77.0% "Hot damn...shits about to go down and I CAN'T WAIT!!!"
12/10/2013 page 288