Melissa's Reviews > 36 Questions That Changed My Mind About You

36 Questions That Changed My Mind About You by Vicki Grant

it was ok
bookshelves: 2019, netgalley, romance, young-adult

Vicki Grant’s 36 Questions That Changed My Mind About You feels unfinished. It comes across as a first draft, or potentially something written with stage or screen in mind. And that’s a shame, because the heart of the story has a unique and interesting premise, with a psychological study as the basis for a YA meet-cute.

Hildy and Paul are matched as part of a study into whether relationships can be facilitated through 36 simple, personal questions. Our heroine has never had a serious physical relationship with a boy before, but things appear to be on the up when she’s matched with Paul, our enigmatic bad-boy-with-a-heart-of-gold.

Large sections of the book are formatted as transcripts, first of their study participation, then of their Facebook Messenger conversations. This is particularly jarring as there are whole interim portions told in standard dialogue, and the back-and-forth between formats doesn’t feel natural.

Part of the plot hinges around the characters keeping their Deepest Darkest Secrets hidden until towards the end of the novel, so much of the build up unfortunately feels shallow or surface-level. Hildy’s high school friends in particular feel thinly sketched, and the most interesting part of her personal life - her relationship with her parents - is largely sidelined in favour of the budding romance.

36 Questions was an easy, mostly fun read, with a compelling hook. It just feels as though it needed several more drafts before it was ready to be published.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Bonnier Zaffre for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 36 Questions That Changed My Mind About You.

May 6, 2019 – Started Reading