Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts's Reviews > Prince Charming

Prince Charming by Rachel Hawkins

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star

Spoiler Free! Full review available at Bookmark Your Thoughts.

"...all that matters is the truth as you know it, and as the ones who love you know it."

Book two of five complete in the Bookie Grail challenge! I've been eyeing this book for some time ... it just seemed so adorable ... and LOOK AT THAT COVER! I had to have it on one of my MANY bookshelves. As my first novel by Hawkins, I was thoroughly impressed with how she kept me engaged with the story the entire time. Guys ... I finished this in ONE day ... I don't remember the last time I finished a book in one day! At the end of the day, this story served its purpose ... making me laugh super hard and smile until the very end.

CONTENT & TRIGGER WARNING: This book contains alcohol and bullying.

The Pros

Hawkins' young adult novel's a light and fast-paced read full of INCREDIBLE amounts hilarious dialogue and SUPER CHEESY (yet you love it) moments! Sometimes, you just need a "soft and squishy" story that's bound to make your heart feel all warm inside ... that's the ESSENCE of Hawkins' Prince Charming. There were points where I was laughing so hard I actually snorted water out of my noise --- which hurt, so try to avoid that. Lately, I've been wanting to read novels that aren't complex and make me feel happy at the end ... and this novel accomplished that. An easily binge worthy novel, this is honestly the PERFECT summer read.

Contrary to my thoughts going into this novel, Prince Charming is NOT an insta-love or love triangle story! EUREKA! A ROMANCE YOUNG ADULT NOVEL THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE THESE AND REMAINS INTRIGUING! From the description, I thought this was going to be a MASSIVE love triangle ... but it wasn't. There's definitely some "complications", but those actually made the story SO much better and comical. And although Daisy and "man to be" to fall for one another, it doesn't feel like insta-love; rather, the connection feels like that cute and innocent first love experience ... simple yet adorable. I truly wish more young adult novels were like this!

Daisy, our quirky and witty main character, has risen higher in my personal rank of favourite female protagonists. Reading about Daisy's CRAZY adventures in Scotland is reason enough to pick this novel up. She's an adorable little nerd who loves to be sarcastic yet charming all at once. Rather than wanting fame and recognition, Daisy's happy simply being with her best friend and going to "cons" to meet famous authors and the like. But beyond that, she's also an independent thinker who stands up for what she believes in no matter what. I think we ALL need a Daisy in our lives.

Though a romance story, there's a lot of attention regarding the importance of family and understanding. Daisy and Ellie don't have the most functional sisterly relationship, but the story slowly unfolds and shows how each character is struggling in their own way. But I think the BEST element is Daisy and Ellie's parents --- THEY ARE HILARIOUS AND EPIC! They act like both a parent and a friend to their children, which resonated greatly with me since I have a very similar connection to my own parents. It's a dynamic not seen as much in young adult novels, so this was lovely to see.

The Woes

If you're going to write a book about a culture beyond your own, do your research! See, THIS is why if I ever write a book, it's going to be set in Canada or a fictional world. As someone who isn't from Scotland, it's bad when even "I" catch on to the things that weren't researched well --- "medical bill" references (not a thing in Scotland from what I've researched), the description of locations, character names, clothing worn at ceremonies and parties --- these are ALL things that weren't properly researched, making the novel feel less authentic. Honestly, I kept thinking this novel was set in England rather than Scotland. And oddly enough, Hawkins kept using the term "British", which I don't think is proper.

Though an incredibly adorable story, the pacing was WAY off. Everything felt SO RUSHED! Once I started getting into one part of the story, I was SWEPT off to the next ... it was rather frustrating! It felt as though I was reading a screenplay at points rather than a novel simply because the story moved along WAY too quickly. This made it hard to really enjoy Daisy's story, along with getting to know all the characters (which is a shame, because they all seem SO INTERESTING). This REALLY could've been a 400+ page novel.

Due to the pacing, the development between Daisy and "he who shall not be named" felt incredibly unrealistic and lack-luster. Honestly, I'm a SUCKER for the hate to like/love trope IF done right ... even though I deny it ALL the time. And though I was shipping (yup ... I used the term SHIPPING) these two HARDCORE and was happy with the end result, I was INCREDIBLY disappointed with the LITTLE INTERACTION we get ... again, the pacing REALLY ruined a lot of elements ... especially the development of Daisy and "mysterious man's" feelings.

Overall

If I can describe Prince Charming in one word, it would be ADORABLE! Honestly, it's one of those books that makes you smile at the end and believe in love again. Though there are some inaccuracies and the pacing is rather off, it's still a cute and cheesy story that makes you feel all warm inside.

I recommend this novel if you enjoy:

↠ Light, fluffy and cheesy reads
↠ An IMMENSE amount of hilarious dialogue
↠ A likable and memorable main character
↠ A "binge read" novel
↠ A focus on family dynamics
↠ A more "naturally growing" romantic interaction

Have you read Rachel Hawkins' Prince Charming?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince Charming.

May 9, 2019 – Shelved