Cynthia's Reviews > Heart's Desire

Heart's Desire by Wendy LaCapra

I received an advanced reader’s copy of this book.

Markham is an interesting character. When he learns how he is seen by some women, an unflattering fact about himself, he decides he wants to change. He comes up with some rules of conduct and does his best to follow them. Markham is kind and when he hears of a wager that would ruin Clarissa he jumps in to save her reputation by claiming she is his intended bride. Clarissa doesn’t want to marry and is unhappy to learn Markham stepped in to save her.

Markham was relatable and his love for his family is evident in all he does. He’s an all around good person who faces his fears and is willing to take a chance. Clarissa seemed very fixed in how she viewed the world and held on to these views very tightly. She focused on herself, what she needed and wanted, without considering how Markham was affected. Clarissa has some realizations and she makes decisions about what she needs before she can be with Markham. She doesn’t consult with Markham beforehand which to me indicated she didn’t trust him completely and she was still approaching things from a self-centric viewpoint.

I thought the book was well-written. I loved how Markham recognized his failings and made changes to remedy them.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart's Desire.

May 9, 2019 – Started Reading