Kelsea's Reviews > Scavenge the Stars

Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim

bookshelves: 2020-01-jan, arc, reviewed

I am so, so grateful to Disney Hyperion for sending me a free ARC of Scavenge the Stars!

Okay, I'll admit it. I was drawn in by the cover. I knooooooow authors usually have no say in the cover and the story is written far before a cover is chosen, so it has nothing to do with the quality of the content, BUT LOOK HOW PRETTY. Just look!

Honestly, I was incredibly excited and a little nervous to start this book. YA fantasy and I have a long and complicated history. We don't always get along.

But I knew pretty early on that this book was one I could get behind! I love a good, fast-paced YA book full of plot twists in any subgenre, and that's exactly what this is. When I say fast-paced, I mean WHIRLWIND SWEEPING THROUGH fast-paced. Every single chapter moves the story along; no sitting around demurely here. It's a pretty complex setup for YA, but we don't have to wait to get to the interesting bits. I was really impressed by how much of the unnecessary stuff Tara Sim cut out - as a writer, I know it is HARD to do that.

And the story itself? Pure, unadulterated FUN! Amaya and Cayo were both fantastic characters. Both of their perspectives were enjoyable and they have a lot of chemistry. I loved learning about their respective pasts and seeing them both trying so hard to do their best with the hands they were dealt. I loved the plot twists, of which there are plenty. And the setup for book two is quite promising!

This is the kind of book to read when you're in the mood for binging. When you're feeling impatient and other books can't seem to keep your attention. When you're in a slump and want something that'll pull you out. It's the kind of book that'll so packed with plot, it'll keep you riveted. Don't blink or you'll miss something.

I can't wait for the next installment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scavenge the Stars.

May 8, 2019 – Shelved