Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Scent Keeper

The Scent Keeper by Erica Bauermeister

Out May 21st! Pre-order from Amazon here!

Where are all my Crawdad lovers? Chances are if you were a fan of the smash hit Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, you are going to love The Scent Keeper by Eric Bauermeister!

It's funny because as I was reading the book, I started making the connection, and I was curious if anybody else felt the same. Until I went onto Goodreads and saw so many reviews from readers who drew the same conclusion. The main character, Emmeline, had so many similarities to Kya from Where the Crawdads Sing and I loved it! I would also mention that there were pieces of the story that reminded me of Kristin Hannah's The Great Alone. As Hannah is my favorite author, I'd say that's quite the compliment.

The Scent Keeper starts with Emmeline and her father, living on a remote island, living off the land, foraging for food (except for the times her father tells her mermaids have dropped off supplies), and surrounded by hundreds of glass bottles. Within the glass bottles? Scent papers that hold precious smells that invoke memories of Emmeline's past. What follows is Emmeline's journey from the island, the only place she has ever called home, into the modern world.

This is one of those books where I can't give a synopsis that is very complete because it will ruin the fun. Just trust me that the story is magnificent.

My favorite part of the book was Emmeline's warped view of the world and her subsequent enlightenment. The way Erica Bauermeister wove this tale and the way Emmeline's character evolved as the pages advanced was nothing short of extraordinary.

If I had one complaint it would be that the ending felt somewhat abrupt. It was almost as if it was missing a last chapter or could have benefited from an epilogue, although I can appreciate that the author may have wanted to end on a thought-provoking note. That being said, although the ending was sudden, it didn't take away from the magnificence of the preceding 300+ pages so I would still give it 5 stars overall.

Prepare to be transported to another time and place. Prepare to have the scents Bauermeister describes jump off the pages and ignite memories of your own past. Prepare to fall in love with The Scent Keeper.

Highly recommended for those who enjoyed Where the Crawdads Sing and The Great Alone.

Be sure to stop by on Saturday, May 18th for my Author Q&A with author Erica Bauermeister where she'll answer some questions for you about her experience writing the book.

-I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Erica Bauermeister, and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scent Keeper.

May 8, 2019 – Started Reading