Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Diamond City

Diamond City by Francesca Flores

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher, bookstagram-made-me-do-it, netgalley
Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press

"Good things don't happen to girls who come from nothing... unless they risk everything."

Diamond City is a multifaceted YA fantasy that blends the aspects of many different types of magic systems into one plot, and while I've seen this as being a turnoff for some readers, I found it to work beautifully. Flores has given us a world filled with blood/elemental magic, a steampunk setting, and political unrest to breed a luscious, atmospheric tale of bloodshed and, ultimately, revenge. While I'm not as well read in this genre as some, I have picked up my fair share of YA fantasy over the years and I found the world building, plot progression, and character development to be delightful and engaging. This is the first in a new series, but don't worry, there is just enough closure to negate the awful cliffhanger feeling, while leaving just enough of a set up to cause the reader to crave the next installment. If you enjoy a slow burning fantasy that is both sensual and stabby, look no further!

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for my review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diamond City.

May 8, 2019 – Shelved
January 1, 2020 – Started Reading
January 9, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Mwanamali (new)

Mwanamali The premise sounds amazing but I'm not jiving with that cover.

Chelsea Humphrey Mwanamali wrote: "The premise sounds amazing but I'm not jiving with that cover."

It is quite bright! Lol

message 3: by Mwanamali (new)

Mwanamali Chelsea wrote: "Mwanamali wrote: "The premise sounds amazing but I'm not jiving with that cover."

It is quite bright! Lol"

I actually thought it was a modest regency romance then I thought it was a 70s spec fiction about some futuristic city like soylent green.

Chelsea Humphrey Mwanamali wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Mwanamali wrote: "The premise sounds amazing but I'm not jiving with that cover."

It is quite bright! Lol"

I actually thought it was a modest regency romance then I thought it was..."

Bahahaha I can see why!

message 5: by Ambrine O. (new) - added it

Ambrine O. Oh I’m so glad you liked it !! I’m even more excited to get my copy now 🥰

Chelsea Humphrey Ambrine O. wrote: "Oh I’m so glad you liked it !! I’m even more excited to get my copy now 🥰"

I hope you enjoy it too, hun! Happy reading!

message 7: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla I'm also reading an ARC of this this month!

Chelsea Humphrey Kayla wrote: "I'm also reading an ARC of this this month!"

I can't wait to hear what you think! It's a slow burn, but I enjoyed reading it little by little in between my other books.

Jaidee (Away from Goodreads until Feb 2...happy reading) I haven't had a chance to wish you a happy new year Chelsea....
sooooo

Happy New Year ! Here's to many donuts in our future :)

Chelsea Humphrey Jaidee wrote: "I haven't had a chance to wish you a happy new year Chelsea....
sooooo

Happy New Year ! Here's to many donuts in our future :)"

Happy New Year to you as well Jaidee! I hope this is your best year yet, and cheers to the donuts! <3

message 11: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK Great Review!

Chelsea Humphrey Sumit wrote: "Great Review!"

Thank you so much!