Finn Longman's Reviews > Being a Quaker: A Guide for Newcomers

Being a Quaker by Geoffrey Durham

bookshelves: books-read-in-2019, gone-quaking

Super interesting, didn't tell me a lot I hadn't learned through my own experiences over the past six months but gave me some of the words to express it (and filled a few gaps). Have passed on to my mum in case she wants to know what it is I'm actually getting myself into as I increasingly disappear off into Quaker meetings and come back spouting words like "discernment" and "the Light" and whatnot, haha. Though aimed at people looking at Quakerism for themselves, might well be of interest to those who want to know more about it from an outside perspective, or because a friend/family member has become a Quaker.

Could maybe use a little bit of updating (this edition is from 2013), especially to be more trans inclusive -- not that Durham isn't, but his terminology isn't the best. He uses the term 'transgendered', for example, which is incorrect, and also uses 'he or she' where he could just use 'they' and encompass a broader spectrum of people. The name of the queer Quaker community has also changed its name since this was last updated and is now called the Quaker Gender and Sexual Diversity Community (QGSDC), not Quaker Gay & Lesbian Fellowship.

[I'm part of YFGM's working group on trans and nb inclusion so I have a vested interest in seeing what would need to be altered about current Quaker resources to make them more inclusive. Good news about this book, it's literally only a case of updating some terminology to be less gendered. 'People' instead of 'men and women', 'they' instead of 'he or she', and 'transgender' instead of the incorrect 'transgendered'. The actual content/message is sound. Hooray! Perhaps there'll be a revised edition at some point that reflects this.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being a Quaker.

May 7, 2019 – Started Reading