megs_bookrack's Reviews > Scavenge the Stars

Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim

bookshelves: arcs-read

On the debtor's ship, The Brackish, young Silverfish, once known as Amaya, spends her days diving for pearls and waiting for the moment her freedom will be returned to her.

Things aboard the ship are far from smooth sailing, headed by a cruel Captain, who treats his young prisoners with an iron fist.

When Amaya rescues a man from drowning, she fears she may be punished by having further time added to her sentence.

Although that may be true, she's taken with this mysterious stranger wrangled from the depths, and begins visiting him in the brig.

The man, named Boon, promises her unimaginable riches and the possibility of returning to the city of her birth, if she helps him on a secret mission of revenge.

With his help, she'll be able to find out the truth about the cause of the downfall of her family, and in turn, seek revenge of her own.

Through an exciting series of events, Amaya is able to flee the ship and does indeed return to her hometown of Moray, a port-city with an even mix of old-world opulence and new-world problems.

Once there, she poses as a wealthy Countess, with Boon's financial assistance, in order to infiltrate polite society and bring down the man Boon feels responsible for his problems.

The man he seeks is Kamon Mercado, a high-society businessman, who has secretly fallen onto hard times of his own.

His son, Cayo, once involved heavily in the Vice Sector, gambling, drinking and carousing, is trying to stay clean but definitely played his part in dragging the family name through the mud.

Amaya is directed to befriend Cayo and use him to gain access to his father. Once she does however, she finds out all may not be as easy as it once seemed.

This story is a gender-flipped retelling of the adventure classic, The Count of Monte Cristo, and I definitely felt the themes of that woven throughout.

I loved the back and forth between Amaya's and Cayo's perspectives, as they both pieced together the darkness and mysteries surrounding their lives.

I enjoyed so much watching their relationship grow and am definitely interested to see where it will go in the second book.

The setting of Moray reminded me quite a bit of New Reynes, from Amanda Foody's, Ace of Shades series. So, if you enjoyed those books, you should definitely pick this one up.

The Vice Sector, with it's gambling dens and ruling Slum King, was steeped in danger and underhanded dealings.

Corruption is a major theme in this book, as is deception and individuals being used as pawns in the games of those more powerful than themselves.

Additionally, I enjoyed the pacing and felt it was cleverly plotted, although some of the reveals felt a tad convenient.

I did ultimately like the way it all came together. The conclusion was an nice set up going into the final portion of this duology.

Overall, I had a lot of fun reading this and look forward to continuing with the story!!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Disney Book Group, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity to get my hands on it early!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scavenge the Stars.

May 8, 2019 – Shelved
December 30, 2019 –
82.0% "Cayo 🥰 Amaya"
January 1, 2020 – Shelved as: arcs-read
January 1, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by AJ (new) - added it

AJ Awesome review! Is there a lot of romance, if any in this book?

megs_bookrack AJ wrote: "Awesome review! Is there a lot of romance, if any in this book?"
There is some slight romance; I would consider it enemies-to-lovers although there is no steamy, lover portions, per se... :)

Meghan (TheBookGoblin) I’m so stoked to read this!

megs_bookrack Meghan (TheBookGoblin) wrote: "I’m so stoked to read this!"
It's a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it and I hope you do too, Meghan!