Chrissie's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Jul 23, 2008

bookshelves: great-britain, hf, kirkus, text-checked, islands, history, favorites, guernsey, ww2, love

Wonderful book! Both light and amusing and serious, gripping and informative. This is a must-read for everyone; one of those books that is just so much fun to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society.

04/12/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

We both liked this one, too!

Chrissie Oh, you are making me laugh...... I am glad you have found these. This knowledge feels really good.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just went in and compared books with you! I picked the ones we both gave 4 or 5 stars to. :D

Chrissie I never think of stuff like that.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I am "liking" your reviews of books we both liked. I took my curiosity over our differences and turned it into finding out what we both enjoy.

Chrissie I can in fact feel what kind of book will appeal to both of us.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, now, no trepidation in reading Rules of Civility one of these days.

Chrissie I know, I was thinking of reading this immediately but I couldn't bear to try it right after North and South. Soon, very soon. I hope I am not upset with the cocktail crowd or with the people set upon one goal, financial success. These things get me annoyed. I do not demand that others think as I do, but I also know what I personally like and dislike.

Wendy I really liked this one too! And if/when you do read Rules of Civility I hope you enjoy it!

Chrissie Wendy, I will definitely read it soon. I have it on my Ipod. :0)

Now I am very much enjoying Empires of Sand. This is the historical fiction I like. I think I even prefer the European continent over England. I kind of have this attachment for all that is French? Now the Prussians under Bismarck are attacking the French. It is 1870. Lots of exciting events and many different issues - kids and adults and armies and deserts and parties and boars. i have only listened to four long chapters! I have this need to share good books with others as I read them!

message 11: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan I absolutely adored this book. It was the kind of book where the characters moved in with me while I read it. I couldn't wait to "see" them again! Plus - I learned a lot about the German Occupation of the area that I didn't know. Loved this book and recommend it to so many!

Chrissie Jan, that is exactly how I felt. I love books where you really feel the characters are your friends AND where you learn!

Barbara Chrissie, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. At first, I did not think I would! It sparked an interest for me, so I read more about Guernsey. I found out later that my sister-in-law has relatives there!

Chrissie Barbara, that is so wonderful when a book kind of makes changes in your life! I really loved the book. I remember reading it in Brittany.

Maudie I agree, Chrissie! Read this book almost two years ago now and could not put it down. Sadly, Mary Ann Shaffer's health began to decline during the writing and the book was finished with the help of her neice, Annie Barrows. They made a lovely team, but Mary Ann did not survive to fully enjoy the success of her novel. If I remember correctly, a long held dream of hers had been to write a book someone would want to publish. My, how she succeeded!

Chrissie Thank you for telling me. i didn't know that about her health. I usually dislike reading epistolary novels. This book proves there is an exception to every rule!

Barbara The facts about Shaffer's health were in the book. Don't they give you such info in Kindle?

message 18: by Chrissie (last edited Oct 03, 2012 07:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chrissie I have either forgotten or they were lacking in the kindle version. I did not read this book recently.

Barbara I was wondering if Kindle generally includes acknowledgements and the like.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It's my fault that this popped back up in the discussion threads! :D

Chrissie Barbara, sometimes yes, sometimes no! It all depends.

Jeanette, I absolutely am loving Rules of Civility. have your read this, Barbara?
the scene in Bendel's. I loved it.

Barbara No, I haven't read it.

Chrissie Barbara, if you at all like NYC you will love Rules of Civility. I love how art and artists and literature are thrown in on every page. But let me finish it first....

Susan This is my next to-read book.

Chrissie Susan, it is fun when you know the book ahead of you will be good! Enjoy.

Susan I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm done :)
Thanks for the review.
Susan

Chrissie You are welcome!

message 28: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Looks like I need to put Rules of Civility on my "want to read" shelf!!

Chrissie I never thought I would love RoC, and it was super. Do add it! It helps to like NYC.

Susan Just finished it and you were right. It is amazing. I'm sad that the author died and doesn't have any more books.

Chrissie Susan, but there are few authors that can do repeat performances! I am glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. One gets always a little bit nervous because people just do not always react in the same way.