Penny (Literary Hoarders)'s Reviews > The Difference

The Difference by Marina Endicott

bookshelves: canlit, books-read-in-2019, from-windsor-public-library, library

I spent a long time reading this one, longer than I normally seem to spend reading a book - and I didn't mind one bit, I never felt I had to hurry it along, or hoped for it to hurry up and end, I simply enjoyed every chance I was able to spend reading it. There are many things to say about how wonderful this story was: the whales, the people, the writing, the story....I found this to be extremely companionable to Michael Crummey The Innocents for reasons I cannot properly articulate. And as I reached the end, I realized it is extremely companionable as well to William Kent Krueger This Tender Land - another immensely satisfying and enjoyable coming-of-age story, with every bit the same adventure feelings, Odyssey-like, reconciliation, redemption, residential-school details (and so many more things wonderfully examined and told inside).

Why has Endicott's book been overlooked this year for Canadian literary prizes like the Giller and the now too familiar list of books on the Writers' Trust award - it features a majority of the same titles as the Giller. I so sincerely hope the Governor General's Literary Awards remedy this with their upcoming announcement - both by including Endicott's book but also giving us a wider selection of great Canadian literature outside of the ones already nominated. There is room here for the inclusion of many other titles in CanLit and I really hope to see The Difference included!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Difference.

May 8, 2019 – Shelved
September 23, 2019 –
September 24, 2019 –
September 25, 2019 –
September 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Michelle I'm halfway through the book and your review aligns with my feelings about it as well. I now have her other books on my to-read shelf!

Penny (Literary Hoarders) Michelle wrote: "I'm halfway through the book and your review aligns with my feelings about it as well. I now have her other books on my to-read shelf!"

Hi Michelle! Sorry I'm just seeing this now! I loved this book, it is one of the best I've read this year! Hope you continued to love it when you finished?