Claire Ridgway's Reviews > A Visitor's Companion to Tudor England

A Visitor's Companion to Tudor England by Suzannah Lipscomb

Feb 21, 2012

I was so excited when Suzannah Lipscomb told me that she was writing this book because I knew it would be different to all of the guide books that are out there - and it is. The word "companion" is spot on because it is a guide that will appeal to those who want to actually physically go and visit these Tudor places, and to those who want to be transported from the comfort of their armchair to Tudor England without moving a muscle!

Suzannah's premise in choosing the places to go in the book was that there must be something left of the place that is worth seeing. She could write about Nonsuch Palace and Greenwich Palace, but there is nothing left of them for the visitor to see, so it would be a huge disappointment for people travelling to their locations. So, the focus is on places that Tudor history buffs can go, visit and enjoy.

The book is divided into geographical locations - London and Greater London, South East, South West, West Midlands, East Midlands, East of England, North East/North West/Yorkshire and the Humber - and there is a useful appendix giving opening times and details of how to get to the places. Each entry gives the history of the place, how it links to the Tudors and what attractions the visitor can expect to see and enjoy there. Being both British and a Tudor history lover, I'm familiar with the majority of the Tudor attractions, but there were some that I had missed and that are now on my list of must-sees - places like Charterhouse and Lincoln's Inn in London.

Written in Suzannah's engaging, easy to read style, this book is perfect for Tudor history lovers whatever their knowledge. It's not an academic history book, it's a guide book to England's beautiful Tudor buildings and a journey back in time, but with the stamp of Suzannah's expertise and Tudor knowledge. A book to add to your suitcase on a trip to the UK or to simply enjoy with a glass of wine after a hard day in the 21st century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Visitor's Companion to Tudor England.

February 21, 2012 – Shelved
March 16, 2012 – Started Reading
March 24, 2012 – Finished Reading

Orsolya I have been waiting for this for months! I hope it is good.

Rio (Lynne) I can only get the kindle version in the US, but I could order the Hardback from The Book Depository. Are there lots of pictures in the book? Is it worth the extra cash to get the hard copy?

Claire Ridgway It doesn't have photos in it, it's not that kind of guide book, so a Kindle version would be fine. I'd highly recommend it, a great read.

Rio (Lynne) Good to know! Kindle it is.

Orsolya Your review made me even MORE eager for this!