Ali Davenport's Reviews > Manchester: Mapping the City

Manchester by Terry Wyke

bookshelves: soul-survival-guide-shelf

I love this book about my city. I was very excited to see it had been published, and a friend gave it to me as a birthday present soon after.

It’s a chronological tour through the rich history of Manchester in maps. But not just street maps – there’s all sorts in it, including cholera epidemics, entertainment spots, and a plan showing the shops in the Arndale Centre in the 1970s. The informative text gives background to the maps and the development of the metropolis over 300 years.

I’ve included this review on my Shelf because it relates to the chapter ‘It’s a wonder-full life’ in my book soul survival guide.

With the state of the world as it is, nourishing a sense of wonder is more important than ever. It’s discovering what stirs us – whether it’s science, history, music or any of the marvellous things this world holds. It’s not just good for the soul, it keeps the brain happy too, helping to create new neural connections and keep the brain young.

This book brings out my inner geek. I’m fascinated to see how areas developed and what they looked like in the past compared to now. I could do with a bigger magnifying glass to really see the detail on some of the maps.

As you can probably tell, I’m very passionate about Manchester. The book is a great celebration of my city!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manchester.

Finished Reading