Waleska 'Wally''s Reviews > Mr Warren's Profession

Mr Warren's Profession by Sebastian Nothwell

Offer me something I cannot find in myself.

Once in a while, you read a story that captivates your attention and imagination from the very start.

One of those books that pesky little things 😏 as eating, working or answering questions from your kids and husband 😲😉 is a chore because it means , you have to stop reading and do stuff.

That book is Mr. Warren's Profession (Aubrey & Lindsey Book 1); a well researched and crafted historical MM romance story .

Sebastian Northwell wrote an original, fascinating and candid story about two gay men , from completely different social class ; who fall in love and want to be together against all odds, the law , a murder attempt and blackmail.

Lindsay is a Peer of The Realm and Audrey is a lowly clerk in a mill factory. It is set in 1891 , England, during a time where being an 'introvert', homosexual acts between men, as well , as procurement or attempted procurement of such acts, was punishable by law and up to two years' imprisonment with or without hard labour.

This author did something I would like to read more often in romance books. He did not used OTT drama to move the narrative.

Our heroes already lived during a time when being who you are , loving who you want and socializing above and/or below your socio-economic status was a struggle.
So, when 'well meaning ' family and friends tried to interfere and create conflicts between them. Aubrey and Lindsey confronted those issues and people head on. Their friendship and devotion to each other never falter. No unnecessary drama , the era and the obstacles were more than enough. Well done ,Mr. Northwell you you wrote a story were common sense and trust in the one you love , prevailed.

By now, you most realized I loved reading this unique, touching and unconventional story. My first by this author and I am very much looking forward reading all of his other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr Warren's Profession.

May 7, 2019 – Started Reading
May 7, 2019 – Shelved
May 8, 2019 –
25.0% "This book is a delight. I love a well done historical romance and being a MM book it gives a very interesting twist and view of the era ."
May 8, 2019 –
38.0% "This book is one of the most charming slow burn I have ever read."
May 8, 2019 –
53.0% "What a novel idea , this book plot have the MCs talk as adults when there's a misunderstanding.

And when "friends with good intentions" tell one of the heroes that he isn't good enough for his friend ; the hero actually, defend himself and their relationship .

And the hero goes as far , mentioning to his partner, so them both are aware of the situation and no miscommunication between them arise."
May 9, 2019 – Shelved as: book-didn-t-want-to-end