Gfl's Reviews > Theater of Spies

Theater of Spies by S.M. Stirling

U 50x66

Read 2 times. Last read May 7, 2019 to May 8, 2019.

Superb alternate history, with slightly over the top (intentionally I am sure) action-adventure in the style of the Indiana Jones films. (Nobody keeps their hat after falling from a horse, but you might get the idea.)

While somewhat detail heavy (and thus off-putting to some I see from other reviews) the accuracy and world-building this detail enables is fascinating.

The first half of the book does mostly put the characters and scenes in place, but with a WWI setting few readers will be familiar with I found it interesting, sometimes appalling (well, there is a war on) and the characters are appealing and engaging.

Once the action begins it doesn't let up. Thoroughly enjoyable read, and for a taste of it (and its predecessor in the series) there are preview chapters (a very generous ten) on the author's website, smstirling.com.

Re the non-English dialogue: in a few places a translation is provided; otherwise it can be understood from context. For my second read-through I did use an online translator, and enjoyed the slight extra colour I grasped. For me, however, the multiple languages are part of the book's charm and help fix characters and locations.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theater of Spies.

Finished Reading