Minx's Reviews > Dagger and Scythe: The Ichorian Epics Book 2

Dagger and Scythe by Emilie Knight

bookshelves: 2019, arc, dark-fantasy

True Rating 3.5 stars rounded up!

In book two of the Ichorian Epics, Dagger and Scythe, both Dagger and Scythe were once mortals that after death were chosen to become Incrumentus Ferrum by Maniodes, the god of mischief. The role of Incrumentus Ferrum was to cause mischief that could not be easily explained away in order to keep mortals cautious and aware of a higher power. Also, as an Incrumentus Ferrum they were given special powers to aide them in their tasks, though their powers had a limit and their choices were at the whims of Maniodes. Dagger and Scythe, as Incrumentus Ferrum, were supposed to remain hidden from the world of mortals, always in the shadows, but they were not the best at playing by the rules.

Cautious would never be a word used to describe Dagger or Scythe as they both desired to create mayhem and chaos. They loved to see suffering and destruction, even better if they could be the cause of it. Unfortunately, though, they had one too many times creating such a spectacle that the mortals were all too aware of them. At his wits end and with his mother, Nyx, the goddess of death, breathing down his neck about his Incrumentus Ferrum, Maniodes decided to try something radical to get Dagger and Scythe back in line. He forces them into a marriage as a form of punishment. Since individually they were out of control, in the forced marriage if one of them broke the rules they would both suffer. To this end Maniodes was hoping to keep them tempered and under control but he should have known that Dagger and Scythe would have their own way no matter what barriers they were forced to overcome.

Dagger and Scythe is a dark fantasy that had some elements that I found disturbing, things having to do with human flesh, mutilation, and torture. Just icky, but I prevailed and I came out enjoying this story. What really kept my interest engaged was the character growth of both Dagger and Scythe. They were acquaintances forced into a “marriage” and they certainly both came with a ton of baggage. With the restrictions they were under they were forced to think outside the box as well as consider the consequences of their actions. Though the changes in them were small at this start, they both began a journey that would lead them to question their choices, their roles, and what was developing between them. By the end of Dagger and Scythe I was loving the characters and hoping for a greater future for all of the Incrumentus Ferrum!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Author, Emilie Knight. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dagger and Scythe.

May 7, 2019 – Shelved