Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Deliver

Deliver by Pam Godwin

Whoa- that was completely unexpected! I had put off reading this book as I had thought it would be too much of a departure from my usual reads. I like a book with an alpha hero, and thought this would be one where the female main character is the one in control. I finally gave in to read it since I want to read the rest of the series, and didn't want to do so without first reading the first book. And I am glad I did! My assumptions about this book were wrong.
That said, this book is very dark. Those parts are hard to stomach. However, the twists and suspense were well done, and different. In anything romance-related I rarely find anything different or unique, so that alone will impress me if/when I see it. Note that for me this came off as more of a horror novel where the main characters bond over their shared experience/situation.
I couldn't put this book down- I had to know what was going to happen! I cared what happened to the characters. That is a mark of a good writer. And while I had an idea about a couple of the twists, I wasn't able to figure them out entirely (which I often can, and it definitely detracts from the experience).
The writing in this book was solid. I don't recall any instances of grammatical/spelling errors, repeated/missing words, etc. that so often plague this genre and require being overlooked.
Honestly the whole BDSM thing does absolutely nothing for me, but I still enjoyed the book due to the relationships between the characters, and the suspenseful/twisty story line. I definitely liked trying to figure out Liv's feelings toward Van, which even she couldn't figure out due to his inconsistent behavior. He loved her, but he also punched her in the face and threatened her life sometimes. But, no one ELSE was allowed to hurt her. Because he loved her. Because THAT made sense. Van was a whole lot of crazy and scary, but he had his moments now and then where a little humanity poked through. It just wasn't often.
Anyway, overall I really enjoyed this book. I am not convinced I will ever re-read, but it isn't off the table.
TRIGGERS: Oh, man- the triggers in this book! Non-consent, gratuitous dubious consent, abusive behavior, physical abuse, domestic abuse, and abduction. Safe to say most of this book is a trigger of some kind.

Find me at:
Facebook: https://fb.me/amandamariereads
Blog: http://amandamariereads.blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deliver.

May 7, 2019 – Shelved