Paula Radell's Reviews > Smitten by the Brit

Smitten by the Brit by Melonie Johnson

I loved everything about this story. Theo, the hero, is both noble and vulnerable, an English Duke caught between the American woman he loves and the family legacy he is obligated to protect. The heroine, Bonnie, is vulnerable in a different way, reeling from a broken relationship, fearful of commitment, but falling fast and hard for the man barely knows, but can't resist. Ultimately, they face an agonizing choice. Their happy-ever-after seems just beyond reach, but the rising tension - and undeniable chemistry - results in a sweet, sexy (!!), passionate, often emotional and ultimately epic romance.
We first met Theo and Cassie in Getting Hot with the Scot, the first book in the Sometimes in Love series by Melonie Johnson. Their attraction was immediate, their chemistry undeniable, but Bonnie was engaged at the time, presumably destined to marry her first and only love, Gabe.

Until she wasn't.

When Theo arrives in Chicago on business, little does he know that Bonnie is--very suddenly--free and very possibly open to a fresh start. But once thrown together again, their spark becomes a flame, and a future together becomes a real possibility.

Or is it?

This book -- their story -- has it all. Bonnie is smart, funny, passionate, independent, and determined. Theo is charming, thoughtful, intelligent, committed, drop-dead sexy. Their journey is an emotional roller coaster full of highs and lows, twists and turns, happiness and heartbreak, doubts and fears. The climax is devastating (I cried, and I rarely cry over books anymore), but the resolution is positively glorious.

I will most definitely read Smitten by the Brit again (and again!) because it completely consumed me and left me wanting more of two characters I'm sure I'll never forget. A word of caution though: although it holds up as a standalone novel, to experience Theo and Bonnie's relationship from the very beginning -- and avoid spoilers for the first book, Getting Hot with the Scot -- read the series in order. Then relax with a cup of tea or a glass of wine, put out the Do Not Disturb sign, and enjoy this sweet, romantic treasure.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smitten by the Brit.

April 25, 2019 – Started Reading