Fiona Fog's Reviews > On the Way Back

On the Way Back by Ella Fox

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, romance, favourites-of-all-time

To say I was excited going in is a huge under statement. The emotional investment I had in Garret and Shaelyn from book one left me anxious as to how this would play out. And Ella has totally blown this out of the water. Expect to cry and when I say cry I mean UGLY CRY.

When they lost their child Melody all I could think of was the absolute agony one must experience doing so. Knowing you had to deliver your baby and she was already gone would have totally shattered anyone.

Watching it happen in my mind as I read really doesn't prepare you for the emotions you feel for our two leads. The compassion and care taken with the writing was an experience all on it's own.

Garrett's love for his wife is something out of a fairytale. Seeing his struggle as she withdrew into herself and unable to help her killed me. His commitment to Shaelyn was perfection. Reading his inner dialogue hit me. It made you want to offer comfort to him.

But it was Shaelyn who truly nailed it. Her inner thoughts on what happened and why, would be something I think anyone would feel. Her answer to atone for what she felt was her fault by divorcing Garrett showed her as a person who would selflessly lose any chance of happiness so he could go on was moving. Refusing any kind of therapy she leaves LA and Garrett behind.

With Shaelyn back in Vegas, and Garrett staying in a studio room he rented as he refused to go back to their house unless they were together, we watch and wait. Garrett is constantly in contact with Shaelyn. Emails that he never fails to send and tell her that he loves her.

As the months go by and slowly turns to a year, we see Shaelyn grow slowly stronger. She's thinking about therapy and maybe it's time. She knows she shouldn't look forward to Garretts emails but she can't lose that connection to him.

But when she does break finally it's the start of them finding there way back to each other.

With Garrett by her side she finally makes the decision that it's time to talk to someone. Finding her way to New York to begin the slow journey back to life she has her best friend Tia by her side. This is something she needed to do on her own without Garrett by her side.

But New York brings a whole new perspective to Shaelyn. She feels stronger each day, she talks with Garrett constantly about how she is feeling, he may not be with her but he's there each step she goes through.

But when terror hits the heart of America we watch Shaelyn comprehend that life is too short, she will never forget losing her child but she now realises whats important. And that's life, happiness and that is with Garrett by her side.

Again with the crying but that's how much of an emotional journey you are on reading their story. You can't help but connect on a deeper level with this story. Their story could be anyones.

Garrett's unwavering faith in his vows and that he never lost hope and he never gave up on them was what just one of the things that I fell in love with.

An author can write a book that you fall in love with but when one writes a story that you feel and connect with, that's what sets them apart for me as a reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Way Back.

January 11, 2019 – Shelved ( Edition)
January 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read ( Edition)
May 7, 2019 – Started Reading